When to change trainers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to change trainers

DefaultWhen to change trainers

I know that this has been brough up a few times, but I am just kind of looking for some advice about this.

I love (Insert big heart here) my current trainers. They have done very well by us until recently with the whole 'Ruby and the dumbell' saga. Thing is, now when we go to class (love the facility, always clean etc) they treat me differently, always with kid gloves.

I had a previous falling out with them almost 3 years ago, when I was still training Owen there. I brough Ruby as a puppy and she never liked the crate (is fine now) but at 12 weeks, the trainer's wife threw a flexi at Ruby's crate to get her to shut up.

When I returned to them after 10 months of protesting them (LOL) they treated me the same way.

I have several options and I am lucky in that regard, some of the most successful trainers and campaigners in both countries, some closer then the rest, it just feels like somehow I am betraying my now trainers. I just don't feel they are able to adequately help me and Ruby at this point.

But then, how is someone who hasn't seen how far she's actually come going to understand where I am at?

I am not wanting to hurt any feelings

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: When to change trainers

Your comment "I just don't feel they are able to adequately help me and Ruby at this point" pretty much says it all.

If you feel they can't help you or aren't listening to your concerns, then it's time to move on. Your first priority is to you and Ruby, not them.

You don't have to hurt their feelings. Just tell them that you appreciate all the guidance they have given and you are ready to try something new or something to that effect.

I think that it is perfectly OK to change trainers. You might ask them how many trainers they have been too. I have learned that I know my dog better than anyone else. I listen to the trainers and I always reserve the right to veto what they want to do. People often forget that good dog trainers train the owners of the dogs. the owner is the one that trains the dog. Our jobs as owners is too find the best person we can to train us to train our dogs. In a way that benifits our dogs the best.

Kelly and Amber

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

While I feel that it's perfectly okay to change trainers and have considered doing so, I think it's really important to keep in mind a couple of things.

One, the dog community (at least around here) is really small. People talk, especially if there are hurt feelings. if you do something, do it with grace and professionalism.

Second, I think it's really important to consider why you are doing it. Is it something the trainer is doing? Something the dog did? Something the owner believes? Wants to achieve? Sometimes I think it is an issue that will follow the owner no matter what trainer they go to.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much

But then, how is someone who hasn't seen how far she's actually come going to understand where I am at?
    Then again, I don't understand this, either. Why, unless a dog has been abused, etc, does a trainer need to know how far they have come?

To me this sounds like you are excusing/rationalizing behavior/progress. A new trainer may be able to accurately assess where you are and where you and her are capable of being - and push you to get there.

I say.......go for something new. It sounds like you might think that's best too, but don't want to hurt feelings. The dog community around here is very small,too. I understand not wanting to hurt feelings, but if you just start somewhere else, there's nothing wrong with that. You're not bad mouthing them....just looking out for Ruby.

I agree with gabbys mom...a new trainer might have NEW, positive ideas for you and Ruby.

Besides, how can anyone not be thrilled to have Ruby in their class.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

but at 12 weeks, the trainer's wife threw a flexi at Ruby's crate to get her to shut up.
    First of all, that is not how to teach a 12 week old puppy to behave in a crate. JMO. That would make me really mad.

I just don't feel they are able to adequately help me and Ruby at this point.

As has all ready been said, your one comment says a lot. A good trainer can evaluate where you are and work with you from there. If they are good. Check out some other trainers in your area. There are some I would go to and some I would prefer to stay away from. I know a lot of the Michigan people, obviously. Anyway, go check them out. Afterwards, you might decide to stay where you are. You might not but you won't know unless you look around. Befoire I found my new trainers I took some privates from other ones. That helped me decide.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Everyone has different training philosophies and different goals on how fast to get there. "Truly" successful trainers didn't get there by sheer luck. Some have better patience w/ the owners than others too.

My recommendation would be to train w/ as many different trainers as you can, esp if you live in an area w/ a good selection (lucky you!). Read as many books by the "experts" as you can. Don't limit yourself to just obedience books either! Buy (or borrow) some field trainers' books too... if you want some suggestions, PM me. You may be surprised what common threads appear. Good luck-- Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Taking privates from as many different trainers in your area is probably a really good idea to find the one you want. Simply tell them that you want to evaluate them and want them to evaulate your dog and you. If they ask about where you have trained just tell them that they got you this far but you think there might be a trainer that better fits you and your dog. Take the time of the private to ask as many questions as you can about how they train and what they would do under certain situatuions they would encounter with the two of you. I know it will cost alot of money for all these privates but finding the perfect trainer for you is worth every penny in my oppinion.

Kelly
    Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL-1F

Go find another trainer. It is really important to have someone with a positive attitude who really respects you and your relationship with your dog. I don't think our current instructor ever saw or remembered us before we started training with him, but he helped us a lot. Sometimes it helps that they've never seen you before, because they will recognize that it's a problem and try to help you rather than just say well Dusty is a slow Golden. Their feelings shouldn't be hurt unless they have inferiority issues to begin with, and then it's kind of amusing to hear them bad-mouth you while your slow Golden beats their fast Border Collie

brody is offline Senior Member

do obedience trainers work with "systems" the way many agility trainers do?

I'm guessing not so much based on the replies ... (sorry to hijack thread - just curious)

In agility switching trainers can be really tough and the thought of taking a series of privates or workshops from different trainers has my head spinning - unless you work within the system you know .. or with a trainer who knows to work around systems I'd think both dog and handler would be quite confused

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast