Eeeeee!!!!! Our first Open class!!! :D

Thread: Eeeeee!!!!! Our first Open class!!! :D

DefaultEeeeee!!!!! Our first Open class!!! :D

Sooo much fun!!

Henery was in his element doing the jumps... our instructor just loved watching him sail over them with such a look of joy on his face! She had never seen him jump before (we take Rally with another instructor) and just loved his goofy labbyness.

We did the high jump and began work on the broad jump, as well as preliminary DOR by targetting a margarine lid. She wants us to shape it into a drop at the margarine lid, instead of just a touch with the nose/paw. Henery does the nose/paw touch, but doesn't readily offer a down (only sits) so she suggested clicking when he touched it (nose/paw) but then holding the food on the lid and not releasing it until he downs. Will he then figure out eventually (in theory) to go to the lid and down (instead of nose/paw touch)?

And then the dreaded out-of-sights. You know what?? Henery surprised me!!! He wasn't 100% chillin' out, but he didn't break! We did really short ones, and came back often to reward.

This class is so awesome! I love our instructor, and there are only 3 other peeps (and dogs) in class!!! Woohoo!!! I'm so excited!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Eeeeee!!!!! Our first Open class!!! :D

Sounds like fun..one day we too might make it to open with Robbie or Cedar.....*G*...Riley was an open drop out..never could do those out of sights..

Woohoo! We'll have to get together and show them peeps how FUN open can be. Ruby is hilarious!

We taught the DOR early, with Roo about 4 months old, so this is her favorite and she is very good at it. The key piece is dropping quickly, and molding it for her.

She totally loves jumping, its the bringing the dumbell back and sitting part we're having a rough time with. But I hope to have her in the Open ring by next April (after momma duty )

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

I'm finding training for open to be really fun too, and Emilu likes learning some new things - not that "same ole rally stuff" over and over She loves the retrieving part, broad jump is coming along nicely, we need to start reviewing heeling some more, I've kind of let that fall by the wayside a little bit and training the "new stuff". And then there's the DOR. We had to start at the beginning by learning the "sphinx drop". Then it had to "go backwards, and not forwards", then we started with me standing at a distance (not much at first). I started to call her and have her do a drop when I signaled, but she walked in on it a lot. So we are now training her to drop fast at a trot (Emilu does NOT run in on her recall - we're lucky she trots!) So I am actually running with her , then swinging around a little and having her drop qucikly from a trot. It's fun to do, and trains her to physically drop from a trot. Next we'll work on the whole thing. I might try using a "prop" to indicate where she is to drop, but I haven't incorporated that yet. Our advanced class has all levels of dogs - most still training for there Novice Obedience, or even to start Rally. We only have one instructor who can train the more advanced classes, so they are all in it together. Luckily, she keeps advancing the ones who need higher level training.

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

This is why I love the class I've been taking with my club. Instead of training for Open, it is called Competition Prep and we have done targeting for the down, the broad and both jumps. She incorporates rally, Open and Novice exercises and you just tailor to your level. So we have done a lot of things, with the exception of the dumbbell which she has just introduced. I think since most of us have been in her class for a while she is steppig it up a little. We are still on the take it with the dumbbell, but at least he is taking it.

Last week we did the broad jump where you stand next to it and direct the jump. Moose did an amazing turn in the air - didn't know he had it in him. I would imagine Henry will have quite the flair as well!

We will have to trade training ideas. We use a mat to start targeting with and will eventually make it smaller and then go to a small object like you are doing. Since Moose and I don't have our CD yet she doesn't want us to work it too much so he doesn't anticipate the drop and it doesn't affect his recall in Novice.

I'm so glad you are having such a great time!
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

That's a great idea, Sharon! (exchanging training ideas!). I'm going to try your mat idea.

Yep, that's one of the big reasons that I didn't want to start training DOR until we had our CD. I remember seeing a yellow lab girl in the show circuit who was bang on for every single exercise, until the recall. She would come slowly, and anticipate the drop every time. Unfortunately they NQed.

Quote Originally Posted by dakkerdog

Last week we did the broad jump where you stand next to it and direct the jump. Moose did an amazing turn in the air - didn't know he had it in him.
    Umm...you don't want him to turn in the air. Ideally he should land, take a couple of steps straight ahead, then turn back to you to front. If he is turning in the air, he will learn to cut the BJ which is an NQ. If he lands and immediately turns (like Murray does), it will be very hard on his shoulder over time. I've learned alot by training Murray and won't make the same mistakes with Essy. Essy will learn to go straight ahead a few steps before turning. This is accomplished by putting out a target like a pylon a few feet away from the jump and teaching the dog to land then wrap around the cone. It's really muscle memory. I also teach the dog to go to both sides of the jump. In fact, this is one of the obedience changes AKC is considering.

Our instructor puts the high jump with 1 board in behind the broad jump and teaches it like that. That way, the dog can't cut the corner. Eventually that fades to a bar jump and then a small bar held by two chopped off pool noodles with holes in the sides and then faded out completely. She said that it helps the dog to learn to drive through the jump and not get lazy.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Felicia, glad the two of you are having a wonderful time!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org