Sit - Wait - and then what???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sit - Wait - and then what???

LabsLand is offline Senior Member

DefaultSit - Wait - and then what???

Henna learned already that she needs to wait until I pretend to be mixing her food. I put the dish on her carpet, she waits... then I say GO! OK! but she hesitates.... what should I do/say to tell her that she is free to stand up and go for it?

What command do you guy use to "break" her wait position??

Thank you!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Sit - Wait - and then what???

We use free. Everyone uses "okay" in everyday life very causally and it's very easy for a dog to get mixed up.

In the beginning I used a lot of body language cues (and sometimes still do)- arms up in the air! Free!! Good girl! Go get it! Yay!
    Happy happy! There was a very clear distinction between when she was "free" and when she was not. Then we eased off of the big distinction (when she was getting what it meant.

I use "okay!" with Henry as his release word... both from a wait ie. before meals as you do, or after we're done training etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I use "release" as their word. Be it for eating or going outside or coming inside or getting into my SUV.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

-use either go or okay - or whatever word you want - just be consistent. She's not clear on the release yet, that's why she's hesitating...

I ask training clients to say their release word, wait a second or two to see if the dog will get up, then encourage movement by clapping hands or patting their legs, but NOT by repeating the command or saying another word/s.

patm is offline Senior Member

I must admit that I use "OK" too. You do want to chose a word that isn't used frequently in your daily life. "Allright' would be "OK' too When I'm actually training my dogs and we have been at it for a at least several minutes, I indicate that we are done by saying 'all done" and throw my hands up in the air. Emilu gets it, but Skippy sits there thinking that something else is going to happen.

I also use ok. One of my training buddy's uses "take five". ;D

Really it can be anything but you have to use it consistantly. If the dog is in a stay position you must use a release word all the time. OK can't mean release one time and something else the next. Just like stay can't mean stay until I release you then the next time mean stay until you feel like getting up.

I like "take five" or "at ease"

LabsLand is offline Senior Member

Thank you all, gals and guys!!!

I haven't have the chance to try any of these suggestions in the last 2 days. In fact, I don't need to use the WAIT command. For some reason she hasn't been eating as in the past...

I am not sure if it was because I mixed some chiken soup 2 days ago and now she is beng picky. She has been very lazy lately. I almost have to drag her to the door or to her kennel... she just keeps stretching ... crawling... taking all her time.. so I play with her until she decides to stand up by herself... but once she is out she is all jumpy and happy.

I am increasing the number of treats during the day (part of her regular food) to make sure she doesn't lose weight.

She is probably just developing her pre-teenager attitude (at 15 weeks old??? ??? )

Thanks again. Once her drive for food comes back I will try your suggestions.

I've been doing some reading in "Control Unleashed" and "Click to Calm" and one of them (can't remember which one) suggests that while you have a release word, you don't make releasing them a really excicitng time. "Training" should be more rewarding than being released. Makes sense to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast