Le'ts Have Fun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Le'ts Have Fun

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultLe'ts Have Fun

Ok, after reading the thread with the Corgi's zoomies around the ring gave me this idea. We know we've all had embarassing moments in the ring. In light of things they really aren't that bad. So, what have been some of your most embarassing moments in the ring?

Other than the butt tucks and the body slams, when we were in Utility A the OTCh handler/instructor that we take lessons from finally made it to a show to watch us in the ring. The judge was this southern belle type of lady, very tiny and petite. Caleb had actually done the signals and we were up to the moving stand, which we still were not doing at this point. I turned and saw that he was actually still there, I was thrilled. The judge went to examine him and he started wiggling and peeping--I knew we were in trouble. With out moving out of position, he lifted himself up onto his hind legs wrapped his front legs around her neck (when he stood he was as tall as she was) and proceeded to wash her face with those nice slobbery Labby kisses. I had never wanted the floor to open up and swollow me before. She is trying to tell me to call my dog to heel but each time she opened her mouth--yep, you guessed it--the Labby tongue found it's mark. I did finally get Caleb to come in and when I turned around my instructor had her head in her hands just shaking it back and forth trying not to laugh. Caleb had the whole place laughing. The next day she was judging Open B (geez!) and he did actually do ok. She told me she was wondering if she had coffee breath, or forgot to brush her teeth!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Le'ts Have Fun

LOL Caleb!

I've told the story about how my Rhys, evil as the day is long had his opportunity to impress me in the ring with two Novice legs, getting a 198 and a 197.5.

Well third time is a charm. All was well, very eager Rhysie-style heeling (you'd have to see it to believe it!) and non eventful stand for exam...

I left Mr Unpredictable in a sit stay for the recall, turned to face and call him and he wasn't there. I didn't hear anything happening, but I was in the zone. Where had he gone.

I turned to see everyone looking two rings over, where the judge for that ring was eating her lunch, and yup, there was Rhys, with his head in her lunch bag.

I never brought him in the ring again. Sometimes I regret it, but I remember he never liked it anyways, and I never liked the heart attacks he tried to give me!

Ruby, well, Ruby is much more predictable. No fun stuff so far with her.

HAHAHA! Those were great.

I've posted my most embarassing experience numerous times here. I guess it's kind of like therapy for me in hopes that by talking about it, I can eventually laugh at it.

My experience happened for our 3rd CDX leg in ASCA. We had to show in the B classes because we already our AKC CDX. We traveled to CA for this one (Thank God! I never want to show my face in front of those people again). Murray was in rare form that day.

It all started on the retrieve over the flat. Murray had a habit of picking up his DB by the bell instead of the bar. He came charging back to me and didn't stop quick enough thereby wedging the DB between my legs. I was afraid to move my legs apart because I didn't want to be hit for a 2nd signal but Murray couldn't sit and still hold on to the DB so there we stood looking at each other while the judge tried to stifle a laugh and the crowd giggled out loud.

We survived that embarassment and went on to the retrieve over the high. Again Murray decided to grab the DB by the bell. He dropped it as he went over the jump and the DB rolled toward me. No issue. He knows to pick it up again. He runs toward the DB and I smile. Then he lays down and starts gnawing on it. > Daggers are shooting out of my eyes now so Murray decides to roll over so his back is to me. > > > The judge says "you can still qualify if you can reach it without moving your feet." I still can't believe I did this but I bent over, walked out to Murray on my hands, snatched the DB out of his mouth, resisted the urge to whack him on the head with it, then walked back in on my hands and stood up. Of course Murray fronted perfectly, sat there wagging his tail grinning ear to ear. By now everyone watching is roaring with laughter and I'm beyond mortified. We managed to Q that day for our ASCA title. It was definitely memorable but I not sure it's for the right reasons. :-\

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

I still can't believe I did this but I bent over, walked out to Murray on my hands, snatched the DB out of his mouth, resisted the urge to whack him on the head with it, then walked back in on my hands and stood up

You know this probably made everybody else's day - right? ;D I'm not sure I would have had the forsight to even do that

I guess I haven't shown enough, because I really don't have any embarassing stories to tell. Emilu is pretty consistent, and NOT funny in the ring. (good girl Emilu! ) My most embarassing moments are when she has "attacked" dogs in class - and that is NEVER funny - even in retrospect.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Oh Lydia! What a hoot! Oh to have seen that! That certainly was creative! Must admit I would not have thought of that one! Got to love training dogs!

Melissa, yours was pretty good too! I bet only a Lab would leave the ring to go help someone with their lunch! How thoughtful!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

Rare form for Zeke is behaving...rambunctiousness is his normal way of doing things, so I have a laundry list of mortifying incidents.

The incident I mentioned before was at his first agility show (NADAC)....we got nearly all the way through, working on a perfect score and 1st place, and he started butt tucking around the ring jumping and wriggling and then he ran out the gate and people tried to grab him, so he jumped over them as they bent down. As he leapt over one person I grabbed him in mid-air, but he struggled (he's a wriggly thing) and escaped, so I had to resort to a full-body tackle. I got him though!

Rally practice...new place, new dogs....duct tape on the floor. DUCT TAPE?!?! YAY!!!! Someone pounced on the tape and proceeded to try and rip it up, then butt tucked around the ring, and tried to leave the ring to pounce on the Swissy that he likes to bug (the owner likes Zeke and Zeke takes advantage of it : ). Well, the ring steward stepped in front of him....so he jumped up and shoved her and ran past anyway.

1st (and currently last) RA attempt....heeling along nicely. He spots the offset figure 8. I wasn't worried....they only had some stuffed purple duck toys - not food. Zeke has never had an issue ignoring toys, just food. Alas, I was mistaken. He took off like it was some sort of field trial, grabbed the duck, ran back, fronted, and gave it to me. Then, of course, he started to butt tuck around the ring again....I called him back (AND HE CAME!!!! I was actually pleased with that performance :P) and I asked the judge to excuse us, and I went back to the car to get him a treat (because after all, he DID come back - unusual in that situation). That was the time the show secretary sent the judge to tell me I couldn't enter my OTCH dog in the A-classes. After the class ended I told the judge, "By the way, that was my OTCH dog." She laughed....I wonder why? :

Then there was the time it started storming at Agility...Zeke LOVES storms. Zeke proceeded to butt tuck ON COURSE and was flying at BC-esque speeds. Until he decided to jump over all the tunnels instead of going in, jump from the ground to the top of the dogwalk...and then instead of jumping DOWN from the dogwalk he jumped STRAIGHT UP! It was in slow motion and one minute he's running around on the ground and the next moment there is a 70lb yellow lab floating about 5-6ft off the ground. He landed and proceeded to continue his shenanigans....

Zeke has an overabundance of energy.

ETA: He really DOES behave sometimes. We don't always wreak havoc at events we go to. :-X
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

OH! These are funny!

Susan saw Hoss' moment last fall (well he actually had two). I have posted this before here. I knew Hoss was getting a little wilder each time we were going into the ring. This incident was part of our four day Labor Day excursion last fall. I had everyone entered in Rally on Friday, Hunt tests on Saturday and Sunday and Rally again on Monday. I REALLY REALLY thought everyone would be so tired by Monday that I would have to scrape them out of their crates!

Friday: Rally judges seem to be putting the Honor dog right in front of where the working dog comes off a jump. Hoss saw an Aussie and thought it was just an overgrown Sheltie I think. Fortunately, the Aussie didn't mind a hunk of Labrador love right in her face and it was not traumatized. I was. We excused ourselves. In the Advanced class a little later, he even placed with a third place...go figure!

Monday: Hoss has a thing for Shelties. Purely amorous...not an aggressive bone in his body. So, he comes off a jump and sees a Sheltie doing a Go-out in the ring. I am sure everyone in the next county heard me screaming "HOSS! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" I did get him back under control, but as we approached the ring gates there was a Berner pup laying up against them. Hoss bounds for the pup. Never did see an owner snatch such a big dog up so fast ever since......we excused ourselves.

Not sure I'll ever have the confidence to put him back in the ring!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Probably the most embarrassed I've been is when we've done Utility A and Ruger acts as if he can't do anything and has never been trained. I've had three of those occassions now, and I just don't get embarrassed by it any longer.

When we were in Novice, Ruger was only about 18 months old and his recall was like a bat out of hell. He comes charging in at me, with that goofy ole smile and he hit me so hard I almost fell out of the ring!!! The judge laughed and said to the audience, "Now, that's the exhuberance of youth!!!" We did Q and got 3rd place too.

In agility Ruger like to go visit. He'll often take a detour to the judge and then back on course, or he stops to see the scorekeeper and scribe. Luckily in agility you can call your dog back and not get hit with double, triple commands

Magnum has never embarrassed me.

I have a feeling Remington is going to be a hoot to show... but thankfully by the time we are in the ring I don't think there will be much left that will be that embarrassing

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    I bet only a Lab would leave the ring to go help someone with their lunch! How thoughtful!
    Oh good grief. That line just reminded me of another embarassing moment.

It was at a large agility trial (the same 4 day show that is this coming weekend as a matter of fact). The club had set up a tent between the 4 rings for all the workers to sit at and eat their lunch. We were in Novice Standard right after lunch. I'm sure you can see where this is going now. There was a garbage can against the ring gates and it was overflowing, MAJOR overflowing, like 4X the amount of trash it should have so lunch boxes were laying all over the ground in heaps. As Murray topped the A-frame, he spied the smorgasboard. His eyes widen, his tongue licked his lips and he shot off the A-frame, dove into the trash, scarfing up cookies and half eaten sandwiches as quick as he could. Meanwhile, I'm screaming "Murray! NO! Leave It! Come! AGGGGGHHH!!!!" I had to scruff him to get him out of the trash and drag him out of the ring. :

The following weekend there was a similar set up with a table of goodies between the rings. Another yellow Lab left the ring and started devouring everything on the table. When it was our turn to run I overheard someone say "that's the Lab that just attacked the goodie table and got all the lunches last weekend." I turned around and said "No! This is NOT that Lab that attacked the goodie table." Geez...Murray doesn't need someone creating a reputation for him. He's quite capable of creating one on his own.

OMGosh, these are funny!!!!

Now, we're relatively new to showing, so I only have one story so far. This was two years ago, when we were doing CARO rally (before the CKC acknowledged rally). We were going for our 2nd leg. The station was halt (sit)-stand. This was before Henery knew what "stand" really was. I had been cheatie-"luring" him into a stand at that point. :-[

Anyway, we halted. I gave him the "signal" for stand. He looked at me. He looked at the judge (his favourite), I swear it was even coyly. Then he rocked back on his haunches, looked over at his favourite judge again and waved with his paw. Then sat back down. OMG. The judge was laughing so hard, and trying to keep it silent, but all I could see was her shaking and hiding behind her clipboard. Everyone else was giggling and Henery ate that up. He shot into a perfect, conformation-approved stacked stand, wagged his tail madly, and then off we went.

Every time I see that judge on our travels, she grins and "waves" at us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast