How do you get them to stop digging?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you get them to stop digging?

DefaultHow do you get them to stop digging?

I'm not sure how old Casey is.. we found her last June so she should be almost a year and a half.. We had the perfect yard, and now I'm scared to let the kids go play because of how many holes are out there. We have filled them up with more dirt, spent tons of money on it and we're running out of options. She's also started trying to dig out of the fence, not for her, but for my oldest Chihuahua.. she only digs big enough for him to get out, which the wholes are the size of her head so she can look out. My husband and I have been joking around saying she should keep on digging and dig us up a pool, all we'll have to do is concrete it in. :

Any ideas on how to get her to stop digging? It's like there's something out there that is irritating her, like a mole or something, because when she gets to digging she goes crazy tearing the ground up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How do you get them to stop digging?

You might get more responses if this is posted again in the puppy/training area.

My take is she is bored and is entertaining herself. I would go out with her and play with her and redirect her to another activity with you if she starts to dig.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Don't leave her out unattended. Digging is a classic boredom/underexercised/understimulated behavior.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Okay thanks, I didn't know where to post it at.

She's an outside dog, we tried to do the inside thing, but she was tearing everything up.. including the couches and anything she could get her mouth around and with a bunch of kids it's hard to watch her and them. We play frisbee for like 30 minutes to an hour a couple times a day and we go walking every night.

Get a crate, bring her in, sign up for an obedience class and train her. Being outside 24hrs a day is no life for a dog.

So crating them is better then them being outside?

When I bring her inside at night time, she can't wait to go out the next morning. Keeping her inside would make her go crazy. And I'm not going to be made out as a bad person because she's outside all the time. It's not like I leave her out there in the cold, or rain. Thanks for the other advice, but I won't be posting here anymore. Being inside 24 hours a day is no life for a dog.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kandice
    So crating them is better then them being outside?

When I bring her inside at night time, she can't wait to go out the next morning. Keeping her inside would make her go crazy. And I'm not going to be made out as a bad person because she's outside all the time. It's not like I leave her out there in the cold, or rain. Thanks for the other advice, but I won't be posting here anymore. Being inside 24 hours a day is no life for a dog.
    I was going to wait and see where this went before responding, funny thing is I'm not surprised with this finale msg., if it is the finale one! Once again someone asks, and doesnt like the answers so they get mad! To bad so sad! :

Quote Originally Posted by kandice
    Thanks for the other advice, but I won't be posting here anymore. Being inside 24 hours a day is no life for a dog.
    :

Well it's too bad she won't be posting here anymore because she'd learn that dogs, particularly Labs, want/need to be with their people 24/7. Sure my dogs like to be outside...when I'M outside. If they are outside and I'm inside they press their noses against the french doors and whine to get back inside. I was also going to tell her that she should fill the holes with dog poop. That usually stops the digging...that is if the dog isn't bored out of its mind. Also, bury bricks/blocks under the fence line so when she digs she hits those first. Oh well maybe someone else will have the same question and find this advice useful.

I have the same advice as Nicole and Lydia. Next piece of advice would be to re-home the dog to someone who WOULD bring it indoors and train it.

Bury dog poop? I've not heard that one or tried it yet (but I will). My JRT digs for moles and mice and Riley joins right in there. Dirt flies like a new mall is being built!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast