Question for Susan or any others

Thread: Question for Susan or any others

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion for Susan or any others

I know Susan does this with Caleb, and maybe some of you other guys do to, and I have a question about it. I have taught Emilu to jump up and "touch" my hand as a stress relieving ,fun technique for her. Most of the time she doesn't actually even touch my hand, just jumps up towards it, but sometimes she touches it with her nose. I did this the other day in class and my instructor said that I would be immedieatly dismissed from the ring if she did this at a show because it could be construed as her "biting" me. This instructor tends to be a little dramatic about things, but I sure don't want to be thrown out of the ring for doing it. So if you do this, does your dog actually make contact with your hand at times, or are you careful to not let them touch you?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

In between exercises you can touch your dog and he/she can touch you. It does need to be under control and you need to be able to get the dog back to work fairly quickly.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I do this all the time and do have Kodi touch me. Just about everyone I know does it also. The only comment I had from a judge was that the 1/2 to 1 second that it took just as I was setting up took to much time, and too many seconds added up to more time than he wanted to spend judging. He was a real cranky guy, and obviously was either having a bad day or should no longer be judging. Whenever a person's dog took longer than he thought it should in an exercise he would roll his eyes and look really annoyed.

Sometimes I even tell Kodi to "Bite Me!" and offer my arm for her to "bite" (she does put her mouth around my arm) in between exercises or in between go-outs. Of course I am acting like a nut trying to keep her geeked up, bouncing myself even. However Kodi can turn it off instantly and be in position for the exercise.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

Hmmmmm - I think I'll try the "bite me" next in class and see what happens! LOL

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

We do it too!

And that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!!!

Maybe you should tell your instructor 'Bite me' instead of Emilu! ROFL just kidding of course!
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Now I do know someone with a GSD who taught it and she was told that if the dog did it again he would be dismissed cause they viewed him as trying to bite her. Unfortunately some judges do view some breeds doing it as biting. Yes, Caleb does do it and his mouth is even open sometimes. Some judges can be a pain. I do make sure I don't waste a lot of time doing it.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org