motivation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: motivation

brody is offline Senior Member

Defaultmotivation

I found the Kim Collins book (a great gift to me) From the Ground Up

and was rereading it when I tripped across a discussion of motivation

Kim says there are three elements to creating motivation

Hunger- the dog should be hungry.. not just in a waiting for dinner kind of way

Bored - the dog should be bored - coming out of an empty crate in a boring place kind of bored

Lonely - the dog should be lonely enough to hang on your every word, waiting and longing for attention from you

she recognizes that won't happen for everyone but warns you not to expect top performance

I can't say it meshes with my own philosophy entirely .. but I'm curious to know which (if any) of these aspects you incorporate into your training life

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: motivation

hmmm... can't say I agree with much of that... I want a dog that will work with me as a partner, and that loves the game for the game itself...

debjen is offline Senior Member

I've read that and one of our agility instructors has expoused that quite a bit..

Hungry..my dogs will eat and are excited about food any time any where...they could have just finished a 3 course meal and will still be excited about getting a cheerio..LOL

Bored..we are usually training in the evening and my dogs have been cooped up all day while I'm at work (one interaction at lunch)..so they are bored and most likely lonely most of the time we work any way.as they are crated separately while I'm at work.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hmm, my trainer uses the hungry part for dogs that don't work/don't put forth effort. Gabs always tries (love that!) so I see no need to make her wait for breakfast, etc. She will train and work hard immediately after eating.

Bored...hm. We tend to work first thing in the morning. So she's fresh, and ready to go. Which seems to be the same thing you're looking for with coming out of the crate.

Hanging on every word? Wanting more attention? I don't need make her be lonely for that - I have a Lab.

I like games as motivators instead of any kind of deprivation.

Phew ... I thought I was nuts disagreeing as strongly as I did

Brody isn't a lab but lives to make me happy he is food motivated enough to want the jackpots even if he's just eaten and I can't imagine how frantic he'd be if I tried to make him lonely...

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

kaytris is offline Senior Member

that's what bugged me.. the thought of depriving my dogs just for the sake of a game...

Tanya is offline Senior Member

we use that to a small extent in flyball.

we skip ONE meal (I do). Rocky gets fed the meal, with some good treats, during practice (he is still working for food, he will never be tug motivated enough for me to use a tug alone, but I have a treat tug to mesh teh two).

between drills, or in a tournament, between races, dogs are kept calm. Mostly crated. I know before a tournament some will keep their dogs abit less active than usual (ABIT! meaning maybe you skip the dog park and take a walk the two days before the tournament, but you take a good walk)

During practice, we really hype up the running drill (get the dog realllllly motivated to come to us) but we calmly walk the dog back to the starting point.

oh and for Rally I always skipped a meal and fed Rocky during class

But I realize the book takes those much much farther than this.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

brody chills in a crate or on his chair or in the car (his first choice) between classes.. and he doesn't eat a full breakfast on trial mornings - as he eats in snacks to keep his energy up ... but its not to create motivation really at all - its a routine we've worked out to keep him happy

Sally is out a LOT and lounging with me doing small routines - touch, right, left etc or she is too wired to run.. she never skips a meal and she gets more too on trial days

Thea eats full meals but can't be out with me or she is mobbed and gets too tired and overwhelmed to run

the book has lots of other good things - this is less then a page out of 160 ...

it made me think - and thinking is good

debjen is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by conrad

the book has lots of other good things - this is less then a page out of 160 ...

it made me think - and thinking is good
    I find most things I read or seminars I go to I may not agree with everything and I may even try somethings that I will later decide are not for us but I usually can get something out of those experiences..even if it is a reminder of something I know but haven't really been doing..

Also thinking back the bored lonely worked for Riley..our pretrial ritual was to leave him in his crate and for me to disappear (usually working a ring)..I'd get him out a few dogs before him to warm him up..and he always ran better than if I had him out and was with him..because he was more interested in being with me at that time

Dusty doesn't get breakfast on the morning of an agility trial (part of his reward after running is half of his breakfast for each run). But if the dog will be as excited over treats if you feed them their meal at the normal time, then do. Boo gets his normal breakfast on trial mornings and is still crazier over food than Dusty is.

I do crate my dogs between runs because I want to watch the rings or volunteer to work, so keeping them with me would either be distracting to the dogs in the ring or not allowed. Now that he's semi-retired Dusty comes and hangs out with me sometimes, like if there are bleachers I take him up into the bleachers where he won't distract the dog in the ring. But normally they're crated. I don't ignore them though, I say hi to them and check their water dish when I walk by and take them out to potty and get attention frequently. So I wouldn't say they're bored or lonely. They just like to go into their own little corner of the world and sleep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast