Question about command use...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about command use...

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about command use...

Our agility instructor has told me that I have to use a different command for "come" in an agility setting, and I'm not sure I'm understanding the reasoning why....?

His formal recall command is "come". I've been using it in other settings as well, just basically to mean "come back to me from where ever you are right now". But, instructor says I must use a different command when I want him to come back to me, so we've been using "here". He specifically said I couldn't use "come" (or whatever the formal recall command was.)

This is confusing to me, and I imagine confusing for Baloo too. Maybe if I could understand why..... does anyone know? Is this common practice, or no..? I feel like whenever possible, I should try and keep things as consistent as possible you know? Maybe not...? *confuzzled*...... :-[
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about command use...

Come (in formal obedience) means come straight in front of me and sit.

That's not what it means in agility

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

If you have no plans to compete in formal obedience, you can use any word you want. Furthermore, in formal obedience you can use Snoggledoggle for "Come" and as long as you are consistent and the dog knows what the command means, the words themselves don't matter.

I tell my agility students I don't care what words they use, as long as they are consistent with them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

I use "here" as a general - get over toward me (we use it outside agility too, in the house, on walks, etc) for the same reasons kaytris stated.

I don't think it's a bad idea to switch anyway to "here" even if you're not going to do obedience (which you are, right?) just because a lot of owners (not us JL people of course ;D ) get kind of lax with the "come" command enforcement unless they're using it in the formal obedience ring. Using a new command is like starting fresh, a chance to make that command count and be enforced every time it's used. Hope you guys are having fun at agility!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

debjen is offline Senior Member

With Riley he had 3 "come" commmands..Come was his general every day all purpose come close enough for me to touch you..Front was his formal obedience command to sit in front and Here was his agiltiy command to look at me and see where I want you to go next..

With Robbie and Cedar I still use Come and Front in the same way but on the Agility course we use a name...Robbie or Cedar... for a head turn Name=look at me so I can direct you where to go next..

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Hmm.... I DO want to compete in formal obedience eventually..... so I should use "come" only when practicing/doing formal recalls that end in a front, and use "here" for pretty much everything else? Is that what you guys do?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

yes, that is correct. Whatever word you are going to use for your formal obedience "come/front" command should be reserved for Obedience. Same goes with STAY. I use the word STAY only to mean, you will stay there until I RETURN to release you. This is very important in obedience (for your long sits and downs out of sight).

When I'm on the line in agility I use the word "WAIT" which means, stay here and I will go out there and release you from out there.

Trust me, the dogs DO learn the difference

Also, I agree with Deb about just using the dog's name to get their attention on course (agility). Many many times you will be out of breath and the less you have to say, the more energy you reserve. Saying "Ruger, here!" or just "Ruger!" will get the same results for me on course. Ruger will look toward me, and then my body movements will direct him to where we are going next.

Also, just a tip.... always, always, always say something to your dog when they are in the tunnel, that way they can zero in on your voice and come out of the tunnel looking toward where you will be. So many people don't do this and they waste seconds getting their dog refocuses... and sometimes those seconds mean a Q or not

Happy Training!!!

Come is what we use for formal obedience.

Here means come toward me for agility. Big difference for the dog.

As for stay/wait. That's not such a big deal. I use stay for any time I need the dog to hold position for how ever long for whatever purpose. Others, like Linda, use a different command if they will be releasing the dog. Others still use no stay/wait command at all. There is currently a discussion about that in the training forum.

Quote Originally Posted by raian

Also, just a tip.... always, always, always say something to your dog when they are in the tunnel, that way they can zero in on your voice and come out of the tunnel looking toward where you will be. So many people don't do this and they waste seconds getting their dog refocuses... and sometimes those seconds mean a Q or not
    Here is an excellent video describing what Linda is talking about with the tunnels.

http://smoothmovesagility.com/index....104&Itemid=113

Come means to my boys, "GET YOUR BUTT HERE NOW AND PLANT IT IN FRONT OF ME."

Here means, "Come over to me, and wait for my next hand or verbal signal."

When you are running agility, you want a key word that will get their attention back quickly if they stray off. Bo has a bad habit of coming through the tunnel and heading after a dog on the sidelines. I say, HERE, and he turns towards me, then I can give him the next command and hand signal. If I said Come he would think that I was wanting him to Come to me and sit, which, when you are running, you don't want them to do. LOL.

patm is offline Senior Member

Come didn't work for us in obedience - for 2 reasons I think. First of all, I over use it on our walks in the woods and they basically don't listen to it very well. I also couldn't make it sound "cheerful" in class. Emilu would walk slowly in every time. I switched to "vamos"( loosly translated in Spanish to mean "let's go"). It worked like a charm and sounds more cheerful and happy than "come". Now that we are learning "drop on recall" I am toying with yet another command, so she knows that I will call a drop sometime during that command - not sure what it will be yet. I have changed a couple of commands during our traning because one wasn't working for some reason or another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast