Open Question

Thread: Open Question

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultOpen Question

Maddy and I have competed in Open a few times and we haven't gotten a Q yet. Someone in a training class once measured her at 22" at the withers and had me jumping her at 22" on the high jump and 44" on the broad jump. A friend who is new in the sport and training was asking me if what she read in the rule book was correct. It has ranges, and say a dog 22" would be jumping 16" and the broad jump is that, doubled, so 32".

Was there a change in the rules or was I steered wrong from the beginning? This is will make a monumental difference in competing as I have problems with Maddy doing the 44" over the 3 boards with the HUGE gaps. I am thinking we've been doing it wrong all along...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Open Question

If she is 22" that is the minimum she would jump in Open. (and 44" for the broad jump). With Kona I jump him 22" in Utility and 24" in Oen. (he is 23") The reason I jump Kona higher in open is to get 4 boards for the broad jump which will give you less open space between the boards.

The 16" height is for rally.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

OH, I just reread it again, and figured it out. Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think your friend may have been referring to Chpt 4 Section 11 listing the breeds that have jump height exceptions which are generally the giant breeds such as St. Bernards, Great Danes, Bernese Mtn Dogs, etc. Labs are not one of those breeds.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

A friend of mine who has a dog that is 22 jumps them 24 so they can have the four boards in the broad jump. But, yes you will need to jump him either 22 or 24 on the high jump and 44 or 48 on the broad.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org