New agility dog - long (NLR)

Thread: New agility dog - long (NLR)

DefaultNew agility dog - long (NLR)

So I've been working on Cricket's confidence for awhile. We have good days and bad. I've been working on sit and down with her and she is doing really well. She is even the first to sit when I have all 3 lined up. ;D I've been able to get her to tug with me which really enjoys. I take her to all the obedience matches and NADAC agility trials around to get her used to crowds, noises, etc and she has even started timidly approaching people in the hopes they may have a treat for her. She loves the outings and has even started walking around wagging her tail. I was even able to get her to tug at a recent agility trial which is a HUGE accomplishment. She still freaks out/spooks at something occasionally though so I don't know if I'll ever get her completely stable but we'll continue to work on it.

This week I decided to introduce her to agility. I kept the other dogs in the house because she uses them as a confidence crutch and I want her to realize that she is strong on her own. She's a total different dog when they are around (bossy, confident, etc) and tends to melt into a puddle when they aren't there but she is getting better.

We started with the tunnel all scrunched up. She was very timid as she slowly stepped thru to the other end where Meghan was holding some cheese. She was quite relieved to get to the other end and not happy when we asked her to do it again. We praised and loved her up then put her thru again. We did it over and over and I could see her confidence slowly building. We have been slowly stretching the tunnel until it is full length and now she RUNS thru it, gets her cheese, then turns around and wants to do it again. Ahhh the power of cheese. ;D I introduced a low jump and got her to go over it with me and within a couple of tries, I had her going over while I went around. I also introduced the teeter. She was very timid at first so we loaded it with cheese. She decided she kind of liked this new game so we've been spacing the cheese further and further apart. We are up to a pc of cheese at the rotation point and 2 more in the contact zone.

She was so excited to train today. She ran to me and jumped up on me when Meghan let her outside. We started with the jump. No issue...except she kept looking longingly at the teeter. We did the tunnel fully stretched and she had no issue...except she kept looking longingly at the teeter. We did the teeter and she was thrilled (we are still holding the teeter so it doesn't slam too fast). I never would have guessed that she would be a teeter loving dog. She pulls on the lead to get back on it.

Today I decided to use that love of the teeter to my advantage. I set up a straight line...jump, tunnel, teeter just to see what would happen. She took off like she was shot out of a cannon over the jump, thru the tunnel, up the teeter while I'm still standing at the jump with my mouth hanging open and staring in disbelief. Meghan was at the teeter to support her so I wasn't worried about that. Cricket wanted to go again but we stopped with that. I wanted to leave her wanting to play some more.

I am so extremely proud of Cricket. ;D My SU is out of town this week so I can't wait to show him what she's been doing since he was gone. He's never going to believe it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New agility dog - long (NLR)

good girl cricket!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

WooHoo, sounds like she is going to be a natural!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

that's so cool

brody is offline Senior Member

go cricket go

I'm glad luring is working so well for you

I'm wayyyyyyyy slower and chunk wayyyyyyyyyyy more with the teeter but hey if it's working for you and her that's great!
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

debjen is offline Senior Member

woooooooooohoooooooooooooooo sounds like an agility dog to me