Libby and I will be going for her 3rd and final RN leg this weekend in San Diego
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Libby and I will be going for her 3rd and final RN leg this weekend in San Diego

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultLibby and I will be going for her 3rd and final RN leg this weekend in San Diego

I'm going to be showing Libby this weekend at the San Diego LRC specialty show in an attempt to get that last leg toward her RN title...wish us luck! She does just fine...has gotten a qualifying score each time (twice, LOL) I've done it, in spite of not practicing. I worked so much with her "doodling" for obedience training as a puppy that she really remembers most of the stuff (guess it must be like riding a bicycle to her?)...it is just *me* who has to remember the signs! I didn't know, for instance, that teaching her a right and a left finish when she was 5 months old would come in handy! A few of my friends, training older dogs, have never introduced them to the left finish before now. Thankfully, it seems like most labs catch on pretty quickly!

So, quick (albeit pretty basic) question...I haven't ever worked Libby over jumps before because of her elbows (I didn't want to risk the extra impact on those joints- I want to keep her arthritis-free for as long as possible). If she gets her 3rd and final leg on Saturday, does it do any good to show her in novice on Sunday as well, or should I try Rally-Advanced just for fun? If we repeat Novice, do I have to move up to Novice B on Sunday?

TIA! ;D

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Libby and I will be going for her 3rd and final RN leg this weekend in San Diego

Julie, there has been a sign change--the moving down is now a stop and down but is still the moving down--does that make sense?

If you don't want to jump her then don't do Advanced, just keep her in Novice. The jump for her would be only 16 inches so you need to judge what she can do. Personally if I haven ever worked a dog over a jump I would not do it. I do so much condition jumping even before jumping at 16 inches. That is just me though. If you would get a jump and she balks at it you have only one re-try now. I would wait and do proper intoductions to each of the jumps--you could have the bar jump, broad jump or the solid.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Libby and I will be going for her 3rd and final RN leg this weekend in San D

If we repeat Novice, do I have to move up to Novice B on Sunday?
    No you can be in Novice A for 60 days (I think it is like regular obedience) but after that you have to show in Novice B.

Good luck and have fun with her!!! ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Libby and I will be going for her 3rd and final RN leg this weekend in San D

Good luck Julie and Libby!!!!

I'd probably stick to Novice on Sunday, after you get your 3rd leg on Sat! You can still stay in Novice A for 60 days after finishing your RN. (ooops, I just saw that Linda just wrote that).

Have fun!!!

I thinkif you show UKC, you can get special jump heights due to medical issues. Perhaps that would be an option if you're looking for things to do with her that aren't a big strain on her elbows?

Good luck on Saturday!

DefaultRe: Libby and I will be going for her 3rd and final RN leg this weekend in San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover
    If we repeat Novice, do I have to move up to Novice B on Sunday?
    Just FYI, Novice A to Novice B is not a move UP, it's a lateral move and is not allowed in any venue (obedience, rally, agility). If you enter A and should have entered B, you forfeit your entry fee and any awards/legs. As already stated, you can stay in Nov A for 60 days. After that you can stay in Nov B indefinitely or until you get a leg in Advanced.

I agree with Susan about not jumping a dog that has never seen a jump before. That's a recipe for disaster. The dog's first instinct is going to be to go around the jump. Remember Advanced is entirely off lead so that's a huge jump from Novice. I'd just stay in Nov for this show and work on jumps and off lead work for another time.

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

Ditto others' advice....and good luck!
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Thanks, everyone! It should be a lot of fun, and we'll just stick with novice. And I guess I didn't use proper terminology for "moving up" like it would be in conformation...sorry about that. I was basically asking if, once you achieve the title, do you need to change classes. But that question was answered...thanks, all!

Susan- by the moving down sign, it sounds easier now? You walk up beside the sign, halt, down the dog, and then proceed with the dog up and at a heel? Hmmm...guess I need to review the new signs. LOL Are they up on AKC's site now?

I don't think I'll pursue jumps in rally/obedience, either. Her health and comfort (especially long-term) are far too important to me to risk her injuring herself. Plus, I have Monty to work with once I get his CH finished (and we're starting to work on some hunt test training with both dogs, mostly at the WC level right now). Until then, I have to earn 2 more legs toward Libby's CD, too. I have my hands full enough, I think.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

If you want to do the Advanced course just for the heck of it, and you don't want to do the jump, just don't do the jump. You'll NQ but if it's just for practice, then make it practice.

I think I would just do the Novice A course again on Sunday because if you do move in to the Advanced class, I think you'd be tempted to try that jump Better to teach her proper jumping skills before you get in the ring.

Good Luck!!!

debjen is offline Senior Member

Good luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast