The black hole

Thread: The black hole

Callaway is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe black hole

Not sure if this is where I post this as we are only in OB 1. Anyway we have three more weeks of class. This last week was terrible. At the beginning of class the instructor was talking about the black hole, well it was perfect because we have hit that point. I guess it wasn't all that bad, he did recall very well, which is my big number 1. He broke a few stays, jumped at ALL the females in class. I was just wondering how long this period will last? We train a little everyday, so we are not lacking there. Should I do some extra things to reinforce?

Also I was wondering if I waited until after he was neutered to take a second class would it help? He seems so distracted by the females in class. Hes only eight months, so I dont know if he just wants to play or if hes just acting like an intact male. I'm going with the latter.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The black hole

awwwww

he's an eight month old puppy

he needs to learn to do all the good things he does everywhere he is asked to them

being distracted comes with puppyhood - not just with being male

KEEP taking classes and focus on what he does well when you need a boost ...

we've all been there (and all levels of problems get discussed here - you are more then welcome to hang out with us)

cheers

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

He's just a puppy. Oh, and if I remember correctly (and I tried to block it) - neither of mine had a brain from 8-11 months. It was just gone...

Neuter when you planned on neutering originally and definitely continue to the second level

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Agree with the above. 

Baloo has the attention span of a gnat. How much is because he's only about 11 months, how much is because he's still intact.... who knows? He does go after both sexes of dogs indiscriminately, so I'm going with the former. 

He's been in some form of class pretty well non-stop since he was 12 weeks old, and I have learned that if I want to keep his attention, I have to be more interesting than whatever is distracting him.  8)  I use a lot of variable reward patterns, and taught a solid "Watch!" When I was teaching him that, I would incorporate the variable reward. So, I might say "Watch!" and when he looked at me he'd get a treat. Or, when he looked at me I'd take off running. Or, a toy may or may not be tossed into the air. 

So basically, he learned that when I say "Watch!" he better look quick, cause something fun/exciting/yummy was about to happen. 

I wouldn't wait for him to be neutered, I think it's fantastic distraction training.    Good luck and have fun!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

patm is offline Senior Member

Yep - keep him in class and just keep plugging away. He needs to learn how to behave nicely with the ladies and how can he learn if he's not around them?

Callaway is offline Senior Member

LOL, I know, I expect too much right now. It just that when we work at home everything together is at a fare level. Throw a distraction in and hes like "yeah, yeah,whatever mom!" And there is one female in particular that he goes nuts for, a 10 month old golden, we were healing last week and doing fine then WHAM he does a 360 trips me in the process jumps around and well you get the picture!

As far as nuetering, I was planning end of May beginning of June( I may wait longer depending on behavior)But I havent made an appointment yet. He will be a year May 25th. There next class is in June. I dont want to sign up then miss ya know?

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

debjen is offline Senior Member

LOL...I'm sure most instructors will tell you that the thing they hear the most..."But he/she does it perfectly at home"...dogs don't generalize well so you have to practice in a lot of different places..so keep taking classes...my Riley was in classes from 4 months until he retired..and even after he retired I still take him to the classes I teach and use him as a demo dog..and I took him to clicker class when I was learning about clickers...(he was about 9 at the time)..my one little guy has been in classes since he was 4 months old and the other from the time I got him a about 9 months old..our current class schedule is 2 obedience classes on monday night (1 for each cav), Cedar sequence agility tuesday night, Robbie competition agility class Wednesday night, Cedar foundation class Saturday and Robbie foundation class 2 on Sunday...We may be doing some runthrus on thursday night..LOL..so classes are never ending.