Sophie's 2nd trial

Thread: Sophie's 2nd trial

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultSophie's 2nd trial

As for the trial itself, after sophie's refusal to jump 22 inches at her first trial, I decided to move her to "FEO" - for exhibition only- so that she could jump 16 inches and I could confirm the problem.

And she had NO trouble jumping today. We did 3 courses: starting with Steeplechase, I just did the first 7 obstacles and pulled her off before the weaves, sending her through her favourite, a tunnel, to finish off. She aced that short sequence. Then was Snooker, and she did fairly well there - went off course and was whistled out, but again, no trouble with the jump. Then was the final course, a nice, fairly smooth jumpers. Got through the first line of three, but she missed an offset jump and I had to circle her around to try again - even though she spotted the ring crew and thought of going over, she recalled to me and we were able to get through the offset jump, pinwheel into a tunnel, then past ring crew to another tunnel .. had some trouble with run-by's the closing sequence of jumps, but I was able to bring her back around each jump and get her over them - even the tire, after 2 misses, I was able to get her through it, even from a standstill. GOOD girl.

So I haven't decided yet, but my thinking now is that I will move Sophie permanently to the 'Specials' class so that she can jump where she's comfortable - yes, I could probably train her through this and get her confidence up enough to jump 22, but I'm not sure its worth the effort.. and what if she's telling me there's an underlying physical structure issue?

There are some CPE trials coming up as well, and I may take her in those - its my understanding you have more flexibility on what height class you want to run your dog in...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sophie's 2nd trial

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

in CPE a dog NEVER has to jump higher then it is tall

Sally runs 16 inch in CPE as a regular
    Brody runs 12 inches and Thea runs 8 (both are in regular in CPE and drop down in AAC)

Sophie is a rock star
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Are you doing USDAA. Maddie would have to jump 26" and I am not comfortable with that. I don't want to stress out her elbows or her hips. Do you have NADAC? In NADAC she may be able to jump 16".

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

We do AAC - agility ass'n of Canada - CPE is the only other choice around here. (I've heard rumours of NADAC in the area, but no confirmed trials.

brody is offline Senior Member

:-\

it's so hard to know what the best long term strategy is eh?
    In CPE you can move around a bit (you need to go back if you change heights but it's an option). In aac you can't go from specials to regular...
    I'm not sure of the thinking behind that.

When I started Brody it was easy for me - while he can jump 16 inches he is only 12 inches tall and was so close to being a veteran anyhow I figured I'd start him there

Thea is only 9 inches high - I really don't like the idea of a dog jumping higher then they are and I didn't think she'd like the full frame (which it turns out she can run but I'm still very ok with the choice for her)

I'm struggling with a similar question for Sally too - and I just don't know the answer ... so for now I'll leave her in 22 inches and see what happens I guess

hang in there
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller