Canadian Kennel Club jump heights/veterans

Thread: Canadian Kennel Club jump heights/veterans

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultCanadian Kennel Club jump heights/veterans

One of the Canadians in our lab club received this note recently from the CKC:

"Did you know your veteran (over 7 years old) dogs now don't have to
    jump as high in the obedience ring as they did in their younger years?

As of January 1st, in all CKC obedience trials the heights, at the
    discretion of the handler, can be 75% of what they were when the dog
    was younger (i.e. if they used to jump 20", they now only have to do
    15"). Hopefully this will help keep your veteran competing for a few
    more years."

I wonder how the math will work out w/ the other jump heights, but sure like the concept!

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Canadian Kennel Club jump heights/veterans

I don't show in non-regular classes. I can't afford too. But it is a nice idea to drop the heights for the old timers

That's cool! I wish AKC would allow veterans to compete in regular classes at reduced heights but that will never happen in my lifetime. :-\

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I doubt AKC will ever do it because most of the top teams in the nation have dogs over 7. They want to continue to compete to gain those rankings. I have seen dogs that are 10 still doing wonderful in the obedience ring. Yes, some others have had issues but many have not. Doubt it would happen cause they want those rankings.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Nothing would say that anyone HAD to compete in Veteran's. I'd just like the option. I have no interest in being a top competitive team...none whatsoever. My goal, and the goal of the majority of people showing in my area, is to have fun playing with my dogs for as long as possible and as long as they are healthy. Why would I want them jumping 24" if there is no need for it? I see lots of older dogs that compete in Veteran's which is just a Novice class. Why can't they have veteran's for the other classes? Many of these dogs LOVE Open and Utility work. Yep...let's keep everything exactly like it is for the 10 or so people that DEMAND it and screw what the majority of the competitors want. And they wonder why people are leaving obedience in droves. :

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    Nothing would say that anyone HAD to compete in Veteran's. I'd just like the option. I have no interest in being a top competitive team...none whatsoever. My goal, and the goal of the majority of people showing in my area, is to have fun playing with my dogs for as long as possible and as long as they are healthy. Why would I want them jumping 24" if there is no need for it? I see lots of older dogs that compete in Veteran's which is just a Novice class. Why can't they have veteran's for the other classes? Many of these dogs LOVE Open and Utility work. Yep...let's keep everything exactly like it is for the 10 or so people that DEMAND it and screw what the majority of the competitors want. And they wonder why people are leaving obedience in droves. :
    My feelings exactly. Obed is obed. It should be more a mental thing, not a physical endeavor (just cuz we all had to walk 10 miles to school in 6' snow drifts uphill both directions doesn't make it right imo! ;D). It amazes me how many older dogs are in the Open A ring. I had one of the youngest when I started my then 4 yo (now going on 13) years ago. Now I'm known to have 2 yr olds in Open because I look at obed as the foundation for everything else I do and try to be thru Open before I get seriously involved in upper level hunt test training, etc.

I wasn't under the impression that the 7 yo height option w/ CKC was limited to nonreg classes btw. I think it applies across the board, or does it? I'm far enough from Canada that I've not competed up there.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

If there is money to be made, AKC would do it in a heartbeat.