more mental management stuff

Thread: more mental management stuff

brody is offline Senior Member

Defaultmore mental management stuff

this time from Readers Digest - Feb 2008!

The article is called mental survival and I think some of the tips/pointers would translate well to dog sports

Bruce Kirby suggests that everything looks worse from a distance- deal with stuff one step at a time
    if you think its too much to cope with CHUNK it down to manageable bits...each step at a time.. worry about today and let worries about future challenges be dealt with when the challenge hits. ( a good example for me is to not sweat gambles classes at the moment- LOL)

Will Gad speaks to the advantage of negative thinking (unusual to read in mental management articles). His primary point is if you envision the worst you can then plan for it - and then probably won't need it. he says "if I understand the negatives, I can have belief in success not just hope for it"

Colin Angus writes about thinking on your feet - be ingenious and prepared to think outside the box. Things won't always go your way but thinking on your feet can save the day

Matty McNair gives three pointers 1) Have fun- Peter pan is in fact a good role model 2) don't whine - you blame others, equipment, (for us - our dogs) negative emotions slow progress and 3) let go of what you can't control...

all pretty sound advice I thought

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: more mental management stuff

Definitely all good advice

Absolutely good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by conrad

Bruce Kirby suggests that everything looks worse from a distance- deal with stuff one step at a time
    if you think its too much to cope with CHUNK it down to manageable bits...each step at a time..
    This is my philosophy for obedience. I always walk into the ring with a specific goal in mind and it is never about Qing. It about improving heeling or just getting the go outs (or signals or whatever). Eventually all of the pieces will come together. Thinking about everything all at once is too overwhelming.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs

This is my philosophy for obedience. I always walk into the ring with a specific goal in mind and it is never about Qing. It about improving heeling or just getting the go outs (or signals or whatever). Eventually all of the pieces will come together. Thinking about everything all at once is too overwhelming.
    I'm with you there .......... many times I go in thinking about improving on the area we have been working on, in a show situation.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo