Fun match weekend

Thread: Fun match weekend

DefaultFun match weekend

We have 2 fun matches this weekend. They both allow food, toys, training in the ring. That's all well and good but I will tell you I was POd when today the 2 teams in front of us were allowed to put cheese ON the ring gating. > This is the same gating that will be used in the show in a couple of weeks. : Murray completely blew off his go outs because he was too busy cleaning off the stancions. GRRRR. I'm going to make a point tomorrow to tell the judges/stewards that teams that are using food on the gates need to go last.

On the positive side, Meghan and Essy had a really nice run in Novice. They still have some things to work on (like getting Meghan to really move out for off leash heeling so Essy doesn't have time to sniff around and getting her to stop stepping into Essy forcing her to heel wide) but it wasn't too bad. Hopefully they'll do even better tomorrow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Fun match weekend

Don't you just hate when they put stuff on the gating or walls! Geez!

It is so important to make sure that we are moving quickly, especially on that off lead heeling. Glad they're getting out though.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

How did Murray do otherwise??

Yep, I agree about the walking quickly. Susan got all over me about that, and it helped us tremendously.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yesterday was ok...definitely not his best performance. Murray forgot how to do articles...not the scent part...the go to part. : We pivoted and he was forged so I asked him to get back since I rarely get an opportunity to correct his sits. That must have fried his little brain because when I told him "find it" he took a step then thought he was wrong so he sat back down. I sent him again and he reluctantly went out about half way and started sniffing/looking around nowhere near the pile. I had to force him to the pile where he found the article and brought it back. He did fine on the 2nd article. I think by not starting over from the pivot to the pile it totally blew a fuse for him.

Today was much better. It was raining so of course Murray was in his element. His signals were beautiful. Articles were a problem again. He went to the pile and found some really good scent that he followed out of the pile. I waited a little while for him to start working again but I really don't want this to become a habit so I finally walked over and corrected him and sent him back to the pile. He found the scent and followed it out again. > This time I really came down hard on him and sent him back in where he found the correct article. The 2nd article, he went directly to the pile, found the article then took a WIDE berth around the area were the scent was before fronting. He knew he didn't want to get in trouble for going in that area again. ;D Goofy dog. Everything else was beautiful especially the go outs which were very straight. The judge even said he did a very nice job. I was pretty proud of him today too.

Essy and Meghan did better today too. My OTCH friend was watching and gave us some tips. She said Meghan really needs to push thru the turns because she is slowing down so Essy is slowing instead of driving. I think a lot of it has to do with the boot/cast on Meghan's foot (which will hopefully come off tomorrow since she has a baton competition next Sat). We have another match next Sun so we'll work on speed between now and then.