Quick question for those with more than one dog.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question for those with more than one dog.

blackjack is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuick question for those with more than one dog.

How do you train without interference? If I try in the kitchen when there is no other dog in sight, at the first "good boy" I get a kitchen full of leaping bodies saying "watch me mom, I can sit (down, stay, etc). If I go out in the backyard and shut the beagles in the house, when I look back they are hopping up and down at the patio door baying and whining. I know he needs to learn to work with distractions but that's a little much for a rank amateur ;D I guess I could put the beagles in one of the bedrooms.

How do you do it?

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Quick question for those with more than one dog.

secure the other dogs in another room, or take one dog out to the yard.

Later on, I work on keeping one dog in a stay and work the other, but that's WAY down the road...

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Separate rooms, areas, a crate. Later a down/sit stay.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

Right now one stays in the house and the other goes out, or one stays upstairs and the other goes in the basement with me. I use to just train Emilu, so Skippy was always having to stay in the house. He used to get a little upset and watch out the window, then he became resigned and would just lay down the whole time while Miss Smarty Pants pranced out the door. Now that I am training Skippy too, Emilu is not nearly so gracious about staying in. She tries to rush the door to go out first, and when I tell her she has to stay in, she hangs her head, hears drooping and looking very sad. Poor thing :P

The rest of mine are in their ex-pens while I am training inside. Belle cracks me up and as I am training in the livingroom (where her ex-pen is) she will be doing the commands in her ex-pen that I am giving Kodi!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Take the one you want to train someplace where the other dogs aren't. I will take Ruger out in the side yard to work him, alone. When I'm in the field with all three dogs, I take turns working them. Magnum and Ruger will go off an lay down. Remington is a pest so I have to tie him to the fence while I work the others. Then I untie him and work him.

You just have to figure out your own system

Crates, baby-gates, or separate trips to Petsmart, the training club or the park.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Crate all the wanna be's until it's time for group sits and downs... which at this house, I've got a whole ring full! ;D

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

I crate them nearby so they can watch.

So far this has worked very well for me, as my dogs are very competitive for whom will be trained first, Ruby hates it when Rhys wins! She is a noisey and impatient waiter, so usually I like to train her first, but even when its Rhys' turn, she is squaking so loud I can hardly work him!

I find when I train her last she has much more ambition LOL and so I use them against themselves.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    I crate them nearby so they can watch.

So far this has worked very well for me, as my dogs are very competitive for whom will be trained first, Ruby hates it when Rhys wins! She is a noisey and impatient waiter, so usually I like to train her first, but even when its Rhys' turn, she is squaking so loud I can hardly work him!

I find when I train her last she has much more ambition LOL and so I use them against themselves.
    Kidd's Mom can vouch for my girl at the Open ring at LRC. Fuji can be heard howling with jealousy from her crate on Mata's videos in the background. ;D Had she not jumped up out of her DOR early, she'd have had a fairly respectable Q for CDX title also. Rotten stinkin' brown dog!!! :'( Yep, using jealousy to motivate is a GOOD thing around here too.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast