Sophie's debut .. the good, the bad..

Thread: Sophie's debut .. the good, the bad..

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultSophie's debut .. the good, the bad..

and there wasn't much ugliness.

No Q's, but I achieved what I wanted - to get a snapshot of where we are in our training, what we need to work on and holes that need filling.

I've discovered an interesting reaction Soph has to stress - at least that's the consensus - she won't jump. Not for love nor money nor even chicken at the practice jump.

Started out with team (running with her sister) - she did run over to her waiting sis for a visit, as well as one of the ring crew, but she very quickly recalled to me, and I was able to send her to the tunnel and over the frame with no trouble, and she ACED her contact - GOOD girl! . Then another tunnel, missed a jump, did wrong tunnel entrance, but whipped back in when asked then was half way up the dogwalk before she got nervous.. repeated commands gave her confidence enough to finish, lovely 2 on 2 off then blew past the last jump. Lovely focus at the end of the run.

Then Gambles - again, refusal to do any jumps, but she aced tunnels and frames for a total of 11 points.

Snooker - I was exhausted by this time, and a wee bit frustrated with the jumping issue.. tried the practice jump, and she was not enthusiastic at even a lower height - would jump, but not as joyfully as she usually did. Very strange. So we just went in, I couldn't get her over the first red jump, she put 2 feet in the tunnel, and off course we were whistled.

So, interesting day. Lots to think about, but I really am pleased with Soph girl.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sophie's debut .. the good, the bad..

Sounds like a nice beginning with some good parts.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

brody is offline Senior Member

;D she is such a sweet sweet gurl...

the jumping thing was weird ... I keep watching it in my brain and still think it was some form of stress shut down...
    she did some nice work over the warm up jump early on

congrats
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you got out of it what you wanted to.
    IMHO, a dog that suddenly won't jump probably is having some sort of pain or discomfort. Could she have been so stressed out that her muscles were tight early on and perhaps she pulled or wrenched something. Dogs are so stoic that often times we are clueless as to pain they may have. Just a thought.

brody is offline Senior Member

I saw her runs and I have to say I'm confident she wasn't physically sore -
    she ran a lovely aframe and dogwalk
    jumped well when pressure was off
    played like a wild child when she was given a chance to

her running was confident and flowing not at all start stop

it's possible she hated the footing (tho I don't think that was it)

the arena was very very loud (like flyball loud - I couldn't hear myself when being gate steward and I taught riding in a 10 acre field without a bullhorn for years)

Sophie is a wonderfully sensitive girl - as I'm typing here I'm wondering if the noise was blocking her ability to process the directions from kaytris

hmmm I'll have to think on that a bit
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

I suppose there might be a slim chance that there's a medical issue, and tonight's practice will tell me whether that's the case. But she showed no other signs of lameness or soreness at all.. we'll see.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

It is always so nice to have a run where you can evaluate where one is in their training. Glad you had some positive. Pray you figure out the jump issue. I have seen dogs so stressed they wouldn't do stuff. Possibility. Keep an eye on that girl and keep us posted!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Dogs reactions to stress run the gamut. I've seen reactions from freezing in place and staring off into space to going into a butt tucking frenzy. I'll be interested to hear how she does in practice tonight.

well, I dragged out my practice jump from the shed and I THINK I've pinpointed the problem...

Height.

I don't like jumping her at 22 (her competition height) repeatedly as she's still young, so she will maybe jump once or twice at that height, the rest of the time at 16 or 20.... I haven't noticed any aversion, but I did today.. set it at 22, she refused. Lowered it, no problems - back to enthusiasm and drive, over and over. So we'll have to work more at 22, I guess.

We're only entered in one more trial (next Friday) and I asked the showholder to move us to FEO and jump at 16 - we'll see how she does then, and work hard on getting her jumping more consistently.

Silly girl.

Yay! definitely not a physical issue.. just a confidence one. No trouble jumping 16 at all tonight, and we ping ponged back and forth between low heights and high, and by the end of the night she was powering through a pinwheel of 22 jump tunnel 22 jump

onward and upward! (literally!)