Another "next dog" thread...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another "next dog" thread...

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnother "next dog" thread...

Only this one is not announcing a decision, it's more of a request for information.

If all goes according to plan, I will be graduating (college) this coming spring. After that I plan to work as a lab tech/field botanist/etc somewhere in the US for a year or so (working on the specifics still :P), and then go back for graduate school. However, unless a miracle happens - Zeke will not be accompanying me. He's not really suited for apartment or city living (he's a handful) and will be remaining with my mother (where he's always been).

I would *like* to add my own dog to the mix once I graduate and live on my own, but I'm really unsure which route to take. I want to be able to try my hand at agility once again, maybe some rally, possibly obedience if the dog is suited (Zeke was not). I like snappy (as in snap your fingers, quick, on your toes - not talking biting!), energetic type dogs as a rule. In order to have energy/speed in an apartment worthy dog it looks like I'll have to be downsizing. I do, however, run about 5mi 3-4 times a week - if the dog is up for it (Zeke is unable to keep up) I'd be willing to take him/her along, so a dog that requires extra exercise is not entirely out of the question.

Since y'all compete and step out into the dog world far more often than I - I was hoping you might be able to point me in a few directions for research etc. Smallish (14 - 15" is the smallest I go), happy, friendly, energetic, independent enough to stay home while I am at school/work, and not timid is the goal. Speed in agility isn't exactly required...but I do prefer athletically inclined breeds. I don't wish to own a sheltie (no offense, they're just not my "type"), but all groups (including hound/terrier) are fair game.

Thoughts?

ETA: I realize this is a while in the making, but I really want to have my thoughts organized well in advance. I've never purposely acquired a dog before!
    Last edited by ZRL; 07-30-2009 at 03:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

First thought that popped into my head was a Viszla!
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Aussie
    Alicia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Not a Viszla, those things are stubborn as get out. I know several of them.

Personally, a large Papillion might suit you, or of course a Border Collie. Not all BC's have that really really high drive. And if you run, that's a perfect outlet for a BC.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I agree with an Aussie, great dogs.

i was recommended a Kelpie (they aren't bad looking at all) - when I was (and still for the future) looking at Australian Cattle Dogs (blue Heelers).

another option is to scan rescues and find a mix that fits the bill.

with most breeds you need to wait at least a year or two before they can run with you of course (varies with the size of the breed)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

I'm seriously thinking of adopting my next one, hoping around one year old. That way I can start training, and not have all the puppy stuff to deal with too.

But I don't know. I do love puppies

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

Hmm...some of those are technically smaller than a lab, but most seem to be higher maintenance and not so apartment worthy. I do run, but not always. If I take a week off running - the dog's gotta take it without a) destroying the house b) killing me by accidentally bouncing me to death or c) building an atomic bomb in the basement to exact its revenge for lack of attention (<---evil BC!).

As for the papillon...too fragile.

More info to help:

Stubborn isn't bad as long as the dog is friendly and people-oriented. I can work with stubbon - I just can't stand indifference.

I like pep, feistiness, bounce, fun. I have no experience with terriers - but they seem happy, which I like. They may be too happy though?
    Last edited by ZRL; 07-30-2009 at 06:38 PM.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Kelpie in an apartment? no no no...

there are tons n tons o' medium herding mixes in rescue (right sophie?) that make dandy working dogs...

Terriers are not the best agility dogs... they get that nose to the ground thing going and it's hard to get their attention back.

Sheltie?

kaytris is offline Senior Member

jack russells are good agility dogs, not my cup of tea but they are athletic and clever...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast