Question About in between exercises in Utility

Thread: Question About in between exercises in Utility

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion About in between exercises in Utility

Can someone answer this for me. In between the exercises, would it be okay for me to heel Ruger to the next location in the ring and do a Rally maneuver while talking and encouraging him, or would that be construed as training in the ring. He gets excited when we do the three steps back, and I think it would help to do something like this to keep him pumped up in the ring and boost his confidence.

I've seen a lot of stuff done between exercises, from dogs jumping up to touch hands, to handlers laying their dog on the side and rubbing it's belly (a gal at Nationals did this, saw it on youtube).

Hoping I can do a rally maneuver on the way to the next location in the ring.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Question About in between exercises in Utility

I am sure heeling to the next exercise is just fine. I think the training part would come in if you were to correct him in some way (a smack up side the head to get attention)

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Yes you can do that. As long as it does not take a lot of time between exercises. People do get excessive with what they do between exercises and I have seen judges get really mad. I heel Caleb between places and try to get him to jump up on me, so something fun to try to destress him. I would not go as far as allowing him to lay down and get a belly rub--that would probably get most judges upset cause of how long it would take.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Kona gets a couple of quick pets and we immediately heel to the next exercise. I find with him he does better if he is working the whole time. I will even run with him to set up.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

When I release Murray from an exercise, I raise my hands up and yell "YEA" which makes him jump up in the air then we heel to the next exercise. If he's stressing he won't jump up so I'll pinch him in the flank (it makes him buck and butt tuck around me a little...not out of control though). Never had a judge complain because it's all very quick and on the way to the next exercise.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Some is not bad, but I have seen real abuse of this. One lady and her dog prime example--she would push the dog away and "play" with the dog so much that then she could not get the dog set up for the next exercise. Because she's from my area, I would see her all the time. One day this judge was getting soooooooooooo mad I thought she was going to excuse her. I know the lady she trains with and explained what happened and she has modified it some.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Ruger simply will not jump up on me. I tried teaching this, but he won't have any part of it. Which is really okay with me as I've worked hard to get him to NOT jump. But I'm thinking that just heeling a small pattern, a tight circle or three steps back or a 270 turn with a lot of praise encouragement and fun will get his mind to stay in gear and help him not disengage during our time in the ring.

Thanks for the replies!!

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Since Scotty seems to be on the laggy side when in the ring, we usually run in between exercises to get him pumped. But I agree on not being excessive in whatever you do. My trainer told me that she was once petting one of her dog's on the head in between exercises and rubbed him behind the ears. The judge thought she was ear-pinching the dog. :-\ So, you can always find a judge that will get annoyed with what you're doing, but most of them should be fine.