The down side to training outside only

Thread: The down side to training outside only

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe down side to training outside only

I'm not sure this works, but if this image shows up it shows rain for the next 7 days. I'm finally ready to get out there and the skies open up. I know I shouldn't complain since this is nothing like what I know a lot of you are going thru, but I can't help but be frustrated. Classes will be cancelled this week again

Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The down side to training outside only

Even when the weather shows rain every day, I can usually get some training/exercise in. I've gotten soaked more than once down in the field. As long as it's not freezing I'm okay in the rain. Sometimes you have to SHOW in the rain, so you might as well train through it as well. If I'm working agility I will keep them off the contacts (they get pretty slippery when wet) and just run jumps and tunnels.

I also do stuff in the house. My house is small, but I can always work utility articles or gloves in the hallway, or work on down stays sits etcs.

Don't despair.

We train in the rain, even agility...all obstacles. As long as there is no lightning, we're out there. We've shown in torrential downpours with claps of thunder overhead during sits/downs. We've shown in similar conditions in agility. You have to be prepared for anything because "anything" will happen. I know lots of people who won't train when it's raining. Guess who's dogs refuse to do the down when the grass is wet either from dew or rain? :

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

I almost always train outside at home because I just don't have that much room to train them inside. I train in rain, snow, cold, hot, dark - you get the picture. I don't train jumps in the dark, so haven't trained too much on them lately because it is after dark when I get home. Tonight it was about 34degrees and raining - so we tottled off to the basement and did some sit/down stays, drops , pivots, - little things like that just to keep them tuned up. My classes are always inside, and we always show inside. I don't think Emilu would do very well in outside shows - she fusses about sitting with her bottom straight on the grass! And I must say, I don't really want to show in the rain!

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I guess I'm just a wimp :P
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

patm is offline Senior Member

I think that it's ironic that I always train outside, but we have class inside and always show inside (almost all shows are inside where we live). While Emilu trains well outside, I think that she associates "inside a large building" as a place to be especially "on" - which is good

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I'll train outside when I can. I will take Caleb to the potty area of my building and do go-outs, articles, gloves, open work. Great place! Will stop at parks, too.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

My favorite place to train is at Walmart in the parking lot Susan...LOL never tried the potty area, but I don't think I would, Roo gets kinda put off by where other dogs have gone. Egads, so do I.

We do train outside probably 99% of the time, in the rain, and this week, THE SNOW.

Obedience and rally you can also train at a nice warm PetsMart or PetCo. They do seem to draw the line at training Agility at full speed thru their aisles and will ask you to stop or leave, but the obedience and rally is fine. I generaly feel obligated to buy something on the way out though after we are done.

Kelly and Amber