Murray's NADAC agility results

Thread: Murray's NADAC agility results

DefaultMurray's NADAC agility results

Murray has been on doxycyline for 7 days for his anemia. The difference in his attitude and stamina is night and day. Within just a couple of days he was running laps around the yard and chasing down Cricket (I could tell he misses his daily romp in the park).

I had entered him in several agility trials for Jan back before he got sick. I had been wavering on whether or not to pull him ever since...just taking it day by day. I talked to the vet recently and told her what I was seeing on the new meds. She told me to go ahead and try the trial if I felt he was feeling ok but to keep a close eye on him (I do that anyway). After seeing such a dramatic turn around this week, I decided to try the agility trial this weekend.

Fri was 1 class and 1 fun run to test the waters. He did fine...better than fine. He was awesome! Sat was supposed to be 7 classes but we only got in 6 before the show was called due to darkness. He had about 1 hr between runs and was sufficiently recovering with that. The only time I saw any trouble was when we had to run 2 classes almost back to back (about 15 min in between). It really wasn't enough time to recover. He still did fine though (not winded, just tired) and he had 3 hrs until the next class so he just slept while I worked the other classes. He woke up rearing to go again. I was anxious to see how he was feeling when I woke up Sun am. He was crazy excited when I started preparing the truck to go. We had 6 classes again (5 scheduled plus 1 from Sat) and he did really well. I mean really, really well. He had absolutely no trouble making time (one Open Reg class he finished a full 10 seconds under time). It's such a relief to see that he's feeling more like his old self. I'm actually looking forward to his next blood test. ;D

We finished the weekend with the following:

3rd and Q in Novice Hoopers (Fri)
    2nd and Q in Open Regular (Sat)
    1st and Q in Open Regular (Sun)
    3rd and Q in Open Regular (Sun)
    **Open Regular Title**
    Q in Open Chances (Sun)
    4th and Q in Elite Tunnelers (Sun)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Murray's NADAC agility results

That is awesome!!!! ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Lydia that is awesome! Congrats!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

congratulations!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Fantastic weekend Lydia. I'm glad the meds are helping Murray.

My vet is giving me prevocox (not sure of the spelling) for Magnum and Ruger to take a few days before competition and during competition. We've not tried it yet, but I hope to see a difference. We are wondering if some issues may be pain related with my dogs as they are both getting a bit of age on them and are not all that sound (hips, knees).

Have they ever figured out what is causing the anemia?

Quote Originally Posted by raian

Have they ever figured out what is causing the anemia?
    The vet has no idea. She told me she has a couple of patients with unexplained anemia and the doxycycline appears to be helping them all. It is probably some type of blood parasite that is not picked up in the blood tests which is pretty frikkin' scary.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

That is scary! Does she think it's something you'll deal with the rest of his life, or something that will correct itself eventually?

I don't know. My friend's Lab had serious anemia a couple of years ago. They never could figure out why. She is the one who told me the vet finally decided to try the doxycycline and that's what finally helped her dog. She hasn't had any issues since so hopefully this will be a one time deal for Murray too.