Doggie class etiquette question....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doggie class etiquette question....

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultDoggie class etiquette question....

As I mentioned in the other thread, there is a beardie in our class who was just starting her heat cycle. That means that the next few weeks she'll be in full-blown heat.

So my question is regarding the etiquette of this situation. Would she be expected to not attend class with a female in heat or would I be expected to not attend with an intact male, or can we both still attend and I'll just have to manage Baloo?

What normally happens in this sort of situation..? Just so that I know what to expect. I wouldn't want to show up when it was expected that I would not come, but at the same time I don't want to miss class.

Any thoughts?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Doggie class etiquette question....

different schools have different opinions/policies, but if I owned the beardie, I'd be missing the classes.

Whether a male is intact or not, he's going to react to a girl in heat - and it's really not fair to expect people to cope with training AND the drive to procreate.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

What I have set up for my facility is the first week in the bitch can come with panties on. Second week when she is prime she stays home and the owner comes by themselves to watch the class and get class credit for attendence. Third week the dog can come back with panties if she is still bleeding. I would rather work my dog through all that cause there are bitches in season when I show at all-breed dog shows that have obedience.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

If it is a beginners class, I would say the bitch in heat could not attend. It's not fair to the intact males and inexperienced handlers. I would allow the bitch to do make-up lessons.

I hosted a beginner's agility seminar. One person showed up with her bitch in heat. We had several young, intact males in the class. It was my call, and I told the person the bitch in heat had to leave, but they were able to run home and bring another dog, so it worked out. Had they not been able to switch dogs, I would have still had them leave but would have offered them a refund on the seminar fee as well.

I had a horrible time in Agility with Bo. Someone brought their BREEDING PAIR with the bitch in heat. Just a little collie thing, but Bo was all over the place. I couldn't get him to listen to me, he was whimpering all the time. He was just about 14 months at that time and still in tact. I would recommend, if she is there, watch Baloo and if he isn't paying attention to you, I would kindly leave. It was a step backward for Bo because the next week he remembered what happened the week before.

Bitches in season are always welcome to attend all classes where I train. Pants are a must.

I think its a good learning experience.

It depends at our facility. Sometimes the owner (not trainer) lets us bring Essy, sometimes she doesn't. We lose our money when she isn't allowed to attend which really pisses me off. I swear the woman is bipolar sometimes. She said I shouldn't sign up when she is coming into heat. I told her I can't control when she comes into heat. She was due the end of Nov and came in Jan 7. She said I CAN control it...spay her. > Do they say that shit to the owners of the intact males. Doubtful. I like our trainer so I just deal with the owners bs as best I can.

patm is offline Senior Member

We are not allowed to bring females in heat to our training club. If it is less than 3 weeks into an 8 week session, they will refund your money.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    Bitches in season are always welcome to attend all classes where I train. Pants are a must.

I think its a good learning experience.
    Same deal here.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

hmm.... so nothing static across the board, eh? I guess I'll just go ahead and attend. Has anyone ever run into a situation where intact males aren't allowed to attend class because a bitch in heat was there?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast