Will she ever settle down?

Thread: Will she ever settle down?

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultWill she ever settle down?

I know that Baloo has his own similar thread, but I want to complain too! I've been working with Emilu for over 2 years - she has several titles - and STILL , after a small break in training ( club took the month of Dec off) she acts like a complete nut tonight. The instructor talked for the first 15 minutes, and all other dogs sat or layed quietly while waiting. Not Emilu! I kept telling her to sit, lay down, stay, leave it! ( the other "new" lab in class) I had to be on her all night to behave. She is so not an easy dog. Sometimes I get tired of having to constantly be on top of her and help her control herself. I can never really relax and know that another dog can come in and she will just show mild curiosity - no - she spends the whole class wanting to go over and get a good sniff and make sure the dog is OK. And until she can, she will never settle down around that dog. I love her to death, and she is very smart and trainable, and really loves going to class, but many times I wish for a calmer dog. My NEXT dog is going to be calmer - I swear!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Will she ever settle down?

My Becca was similar to that. I think that is another reason I really like my boys! Niether Tobie nor Caleb have been like that. Remember, Becca was the one who tried to take on my trainer's Rott bitch! Not smart considering she barely weighed 55 poiunds at her prime and the Rotts were close to 90 some.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

kaytris is offline Senior Member

would she settle if she was in a crate? Having a mesh crate there might make things easier on you both....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

She's great in her crate - but this is during class , and I think the instructor really wants them out in the ring

kaytris is offline Senior Member

yes, but when the instructor is talking.. she could be chilling in her crate and you could relax and follow the instructor...

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I'd take my crate and crate her during the "talk" time. From an instructors point of view, I'd much rather have my students with unruly dogs do that then try to talk over and compete with the dog for everyone's attention.

I've taken agility classes where I will crate my dogs ringside so I can walk the courses etc. It works for me and my dogs.

I've done obedience seminars with my dog where they are crated while the instructor does demo's etc.