OhMiGosh.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OhMiGosh.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultOhMiGosh.

Well. That was definitely an experience. :-\

We started agility class tonight, for those wondering what the hell I'm talking about. ;D It was pretty bad.

He went completely crazy. Absolutely inSANE. He was the closest to totally-out-of-control that he has ever been, in any situation. And this went on for a full, grueling hour. I have the battle scars to prove it. (blisters on my hands and between my fingers from trying desperately to hang on to the leash. :-[)

Everytime any dog stepped foot on the A frame and it made that slight rattling noise he was completely enraptured. Off in his own little world, straining toward them totally oblivious of me on the other end of the leash. Anytime he saw another dog playing tug with their owner, same deal. And similar act when any dog even ventured towards him. He got away from me three times and went "visiting" (aka: completely bowling over another dog/handler team. Not unlike a steamroller might, going at full speed.) Ho boy. :-[ :-[

Zero focus, and I mean zilch. Nada. Nothing. He was like a kid with ADHD that had just eaten a truck full of sugar. A few times when we were taking a break and the instructor was talking, Baloo would actually be staring at one of the other dogs, whining audibly (and annoyingly). He has NEVER done that before.

*sigh*.

I'm trying to think of why tonight was such a train wreck. I have thought of a few reasons,

1. He has been crated all day the last two days, as I've been on days at work, and Dan always works during the day. This is unusual, and rarely ever happens. I can probably count the total # of times this situation has come up in total on one hand. Maybe he was just wired from that?

2. He is right smack in the middle of a pretty nasty bout of diarrhea, so maybe not feeling well? Although I would think that would make him lethargic, more than anything.

3. There was a beardie there that was right at the beginning of a heat cycle (although he wasn't focused on her, but basically on all the other dogs equally.)

4. The whole sitution with the equipment and all was just waaaaayy over-stimulating for him

5. Combination (or all of) the above. :-\

So yah, not the grand agility debut I had hoped for, but I guess we'll have to see what the following weeks bring. *sigh again*.

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: OhMiGosh.

LOL!! Ohhh Kate!!! I was thinking of you guys tonight and wondering how it went!!

He went completely crazy. Absolutely inSANE.
    At first I thought you were talking about Chad, LOL, and then realized you were talking about Mr.Baloo. LOL!

Oh dear... poor you and poor Baloo.

No advice, just encouragement! Knock 'em dead next week!!!

PS. Are you doing obed with Marie this session too?

jan elaine Guest

Baloo was just welcoming everyone to the party! ;D He was trying very hard to be a really good host! LOL. I'm sure next time will be better. ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom

PS. Are you doing obed with Marie this session too?
    No. Thought about it and then thought that it might be good to just focus on one thing at a time, both for my benefit as well as Baloo's. Now I'm thinking I should have so we can be a member of a class that I don't have to feel totally embarrassed in!! 8)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

the girl in heat might have tipped him over the edge LOL

agility sends some of them over the edge. Gabs gets way, way excited. She has had some intro to agility (4+ privates and some practices) but she cannot see the equipment or anyone else running it without going WAHOOOOOOO.

patm is offline Senior Member

I sympathize completely! I was going to start my own thread about the same thing tonite with Emilu. We have been going to and showing in obedience for 2 years now. She is my "showdog". And tonight, after not being having class for 4 weeks, she was completley nuts - all other dogs behaving nicely, sitting and waiting their turns for whatever, and I spent the whole night "controlling" her , having to tell her to sit, lay down, stay a million times and rewarding her for not lunging at the dogs running in for their recalls :-\ She is NOT an easy dog!

Was this his first agility class ever? It's pretty normal for the dogs to be excited. It's new. The dogs are new. The place is new. The people are new. For young dogs especially it can be a bit overwhelming. Give it some time and everyone will start to settle in.

Just FYI, some dogs are always nutso around the agility ring (barking, whining, carrying on). It's best to try to figure out how to handle it right from the beginning so as not to start any bad habits. Yes agility should be fun, fun, fun but it also needs to be controlled. Redirect him. Do puppy sit ups. Practice your "watch me" command. Some people teach directional signals (left and right) which you can also practice. Whatever it takes to keep him focused on you. I always do lots of obedience stuff while waiting our turn in agility.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I think this is pretty normal behavior.

My beginners agility class dogs go nuts when other dogs run. Especially if I demo my dog and we really run (compared to beginners who just can't do that many obstacles correctly, quickly).

It's all part of the learning curve and IMHO, the more distractions the better. Showing at an agility trial is a LOT of noise, barking, excitement, echoes (if inside), etc. They better get used to things.

It takes putting "milage" on dogs to get them accumosted to all this. That's why I hauled Remington with us even though he was a pup. He barked liked a nut the first time we were at an agility trial. Now he barks when we arrive but then he settles right down in his crate and enjoys the day.

Hang in there, it DOES get better!!

Totally normal.

You will be amazed how well behaved he is next week when the novelty has rubbed off.

Give him a few quick corrections, and remind him he needs to behave, and reward him a lot, and keep his attention on you.

We train quiet tricks that we can do while just standing around. We do spins and drops and touching so that we can keep on our toes, but not disturbing others in the class.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast