Hips and Elbows
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hips and Elbows

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultHips and Elbows

wondering if anyone here gets xrays done to compete? Today I had Remington done and got both hips and elbows. Both are excellent! No problems. The hips are beautiful, the ball seated in the socket really nicely with fantastic coverage. I was thrilled. Elbows awesome as well. Hopefully he'll be good to go for a long, long time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hips and Elbows

Linda, are you going to send them to OFA at all?

I'll do PenHIPP with the puppy probably around 5-6 months of age before we get into any serious training. I might do elbow prelims on her at that time as well since I'm scarred for life about elbows now after Scotty's ED. I think it's a good idea in general with a competition dog and if you can afford it, why not.

Gabs had hips done at 6 months, which showed minor dysplasia. We'll repeat at 2 years to see where we are.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

I had Emilu done because I was planning on breeding her. When I get a new pup, I probably will get them done for competing - I would definitely do it if I was going to compete in agility.

Yep, I do prelim hips and elbows at a year old, before I let them jump or do full sized contacts. I get them done at MSU where they're read by an incredibly well respected radiologist. I haven't sent prelims in to OFA yet, but I haven't decided if I'll change that with Bono when he turns a year next month.

Congrats on the good results!

Amber was done at 6 months and the vet (not OFA) said one hip was borderline dysplastic. The vet refused to send the X-rays in to OFA because I had her spayed at the same time and he said they wouldn't look at them. I checked with OFA and they said the vet was a moron..lol We now have a new vet. I have never had her rechecked but she is one of the fastest labs in country in agility.. just not very consistent yet..

Kelly and Amber

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

The vet I took him to today does all the OFA films around here. He's really good (and is an ortho doc as well) so I trust the films and his knowledge. I saw the films. Compared to Ruger's (his balls were SQUARE and seated only half way in) and Magnums (her's were at least round but seated only 3/4 way in) Remington's really were beautiful. I'm tickled pink.

No, I won't send them to OFA as I have no plans on breeding him. Just wanted to know what we might have been dealing with since I'll be competing with him.

Oh, and he weighed 78 lbs. I really thought he would be more than that. I guessed 85. But 78 is a pleasant surprise.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Yes, I have for all my Labs. Caleb is the only one I sent to OFA though. Becca had wonderful hips but Tobie's were terrible!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

I do OFA all my Labs (not the pugs although some pug agility competitors have started doing so) at age 2, sometimes I do prelims but only when I've suspected a problem. I don't jump mine at full height until after their 2 yr. x-rays. I only jump them at elbow height until growth plates are closed which is 15 to 18 months but frankly my last couple of dogs, including Jazz, haven't even started in agility until they are over 2 because first we do breed ring and hunt tests, maybe tracking, then go to agility. I do introduce tunnels, table, low jumps and low a-frame as youngsters for confidence and they will remember this in the future, but then they often don't do anything again until much older.

Aren't Pugs the highest ranked beed to have hip dysplasia? I thought that 73% of all pugs tested had dysplasia?
    yet I think every pug I have ever seen in agility ran just fine..

Kelly and Amber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast