utility - go out question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: utility - go out question

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Defaultutility - go out question

Okay, is there a way to help a dog understand the concept of "run out straight until I tell you to turn/sit". I don't want there to be anything physical out there for him to run to. I would like to be able to point out and send him.

As long as we have a marker, or if I physically walk out and show him where I want him to go (gating or no gating) he'll do it.

If I just set him up someplace and point and then ask him to go out, he'll start out and then every time he will wander off to his left. Sometimes he'll go directly out to his left.

I honestly believe he IS trying, but is confused on what I want him to do.

I have no clue how to help him "run out about 16 feet in a straight line til I tell you to sit."

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: utility - go out question

If he does well with the target, why are you trying not to use a target? Even in hunt tests and field trials, dogs can run so far in a straight line because they have been told that there is a target at the end. My trainer never has us to a go out to anything but the gates.

If your problem with having a target is that he has to sniff the gate or the target before sitting, you should work on your sit.

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I still use guides(dowels) with Kona when I practice to get the muscle memory of straight .......it seems to have paid off for us.

Kona also has some field training and has been "forced" to a pile of bumpers and he has to go directly to the pile I send him to (even if he cannot see it ........ he has to trust me).
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

The reason I'd like to wean away from any "targets" or gating is because he WILL go out to those except at a show of course. So I'd like him to know to just "run out" until I command him to sit. (He does turn and sit promptly, that's not the issue, it's the running out far enough.

Thanks!

Practice, practice, and more practice.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to help him? Why make this tougher than it needs to be? I think you need to have a visible target (not necessarily with food) until they fully understand what you are asking. Ruger doesn't understand yet especially if he is going left every time instead of straight.

I vary the distance of Murray's go outs, some short, some long, some extremely long. Once they understand to go until you say sit, not just 40', then you can try sending to different things (trees, light poles, walls, a piece of paper, your agility targets). Having them run to thin air is a very advanced skill and I don't think Ruger is anywhere near ready for that at this point.

I haven't done this last step yet either but need to if we are going to compete in hunt tests. For example, we did some field retrieves and Murray would mark the fall but would only run out about as far as I normally throw a ball and would start his search from there even though he saw the bumper fall much further away. It's just a matter of practicing the longer retrieves. Go outs are no different.

~edited~ Just reread your post and saw that you were just asking about teaching the straight go out in the ring. My advice is still the same...very the length of the go outs. You can keep him on a flexi and ensure that he can't go left. You can also randomly follow him out to the post, turn and sit him, treat him there. If he goes off center, reposition him reminding him "go touch" or whatever your command is and make sure he touches the post, praise him but do not treat him. Rinse, repeat. I set up my ring with the jumps so the picture looks the same but sometimes I put the jumps out 50' and make Murray run another 20' beyond. Sometimes I put the jumps at 10' and make Murray run 80' past. Vary the length of the go out. Can't stress that enough.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Hey, like I have room to talk here about go-outs! One of the OTCh people around here told me until you do about 3 million (yes million) go-outs they don't understand it cause it is so difficult. So as Lydia said, practice, practice, practice. Now, I sometimes lay his leash out her just so he does not arch. He doesn't run to the corners but does arch badly.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

brody is offline Senior Member

I too would start with a target out or with veyr short distances ...

ping ponging between very short, medium and as far as he can will probably bring the fastest return for ya

it does sound like he is trying to work with you and is just confused

break it down a bit more for him and I'm sure you'll be where you want in no time

cheers

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

lcspt is offline Senior Member

If Kona fails to go all the way across the ring in practice (and he will) I take his collar and take him out from where he stopped .......... not making it comfortable. The next go out is always faster and all the way across. Kona has been doing go-outs since before his ACL surgery (2 years ago). I also added distractions to pull him off the straight line so I could correct and get him to realize that going straight is his best option. I also have made him do go out's all the way across our building (size of 2 rings). It will come with alot of practice ......... I also don't jump Kona every time when I was teaching the go outs. The more they do it and shows and practice shows the more confident they will get. Kona had been known to lie down vs sit or to stand and not move after he turned ....... just a green dog.

I haven't done this last step yet either but need to if we are going to compete in hunt tests. For example, we did some field retrieves and Murray would mark the fall but would only run out about as far as I normally throw a ball and would start his search from there even though he saw the bumper fall much further away. It's just a matter of practicing the longer retrieves. Go outs are no different.
    When I introduced Kona to the longer retrieves I did it with other people throwing the bumpers &/or birds so that person could help the dog when he couldn't find his retrieve. I did move closer to the throwers in the beginning. I read in an article that when you train alone the dog will only go as far as you can throw.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lcspt
    If Kona fails to go all the way across the ring in practice (and he will) I take his collar and take him out from where he stopped .......... not making it comfortable. of practicing the longer retrieves. Go outs are no different.
    I do something similar.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Having them run to thin air is a very advanced skill and I don't think Ruger is anywhere near ready for that at this point.

I haven't done this last step yet either but need to if we are going to compete in hunt tests.
    Even on blind retrieves, they don't run to thin air. You start with the pile work, then patten blinds, then cold blinds. By the time you're doing cold blinds, the dog should know that it's going for the bird. I think even a well trained handling dog would lose its confidence if it was sent for thin air a few times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast