Rally NEW SIGNS Help Please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rally NEW SIGNS Help Please

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRally NEW SIGNS Help Please

Have you seen the new signs for Rally? I have the actual signs but I cannot find a description of how to correctly perform them anywhere. I have a trial in three weeks and need to learn these new ones. Can someone help me find a description for the new signs?

The " Call Front 1 step back diagonal right front finish right forward" looks confusing and hard (and there is a left one as well)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rally NEW SIGNS Help Please

The yahoo Rally group had this..

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/R...ed/files/2008/

edited to add I found this

NR 5 Call Front - 1 Step Back Diagonal Right - Front - Finish Right Forward – While heeling, the handler stops forward motion
    and calls the dog to the front position (dog sits in front and faces the handler). The handler may take several steps backward
    as the dog turns and moves
    to sit in the front position. The handler then takes one step diagonally backward and to the right; the dog moves with the
    handler and sits in the front position in the new location. The next part of the exercise directs the handler to command and/or
    signal the dog to change from the front position to the handler’s right, around behind the handler and towards heel position.
    As the dog clears the handler’s path, the handler moves forward before the dog has completely returned to heel position. The
    dog does not sit before moving forward in heel position with the handler.
    NR 6 Call Front - 1 Step Back Diagonal Left - Front, Finish Left Forward - While heeling, the handler stops forward motion and
    calls the dog to the front position (dog sits in front and faces the handler). The handler may take several steps backward as
    the dog turns and moves
    to sit in the front position. The handler then takes one step diagonally backward and to the left; the dog moves with the
    handler and sits in the front position in the new location. The next part of the exercise directs the handler to command and/or
    signal the dog to change from the
    front position to the handler’s left and move toward heel position. As the dog clears the handler’s path, the handler moves
    forward before the dog has completely returned to heel position. The dog does not sit before moving forward in heel position
    with the handler.
    NR 7 Double Left About Turn - While moving with the dog in heel position, the handler makes an about turn to the left while at
    the same time, the dog must move around the handler to the right and into heel position. The handler may take one or two
    steps forward before performing the exercise a second time. The handler will end up turning 360° to the left as the dog turns
    360° to the right around the handler. The dog does not sit at any time during this exercise.

Thanks Deb.

I did find out that only THREE are for the regular classes. The other new signs (like the one described above) are used in the Non-Regular Rally classes. Phew. I'm breathing a little bit easier now!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

Whew!! I haven't read the new signs yet (although I think I have them printed off upstairs), but even reading the description, I was thinking - this certainly can't be in Novice or even advanced!

Here are some videos that demonstrate the new exercises and yes, most are in the non-regular classes.

#1 NonRegular Rally exercises #1-4-5-6-5-7 Demonstration of how to do
    these, as well as a few training tips with Wally, my Australian Terrier
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-clXOXz4C4c

#2 Stop and down, moving down walk around - - demo and how to teach -
    one way at least
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=PdhCXDA7LyQ&feature=user

#3 NonRegular Rally Exercises 2&3 How to do and train the new
    non-regular exercises pivot 90 R and L move forward. Note Wally sits or
    comes VERY close to it nearly every time on the P L - - so really train
    and watch. We're still very new into the training of this - all dogs
    need to work through all of the training steps.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=MHex28vl2T4&feature=user

Are these AKC rally signs?
    I haven't seen any new ones yet. I am in a trial in mid-Feb and was at a run-thru last night in Excellent but there weren't any new signs.
    If anyone has a list please let me know. I don't care about the non-standard as I want to finish an RAE before I even consider that class (IF -- my plate is full enough already with all my dogs so probably don't need to do that, too).
    Deb H.
    www.dunnsmarshlabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by labnpug
    Are these AKC rally signs?
    I haven't seen any new ones yet. I am in a trial in mid-Feb and was at a run-thru last night in Excellent but there weren't any new signs.
    Where have you been?? This has been discussed for most of this year.

Yes there are new signs and new regs. Make sure you read them at AKC's website.

http://www.akc.org/pdfs/about/board_...egulations.pdf

They have defined the correct performance of an exercise and identified the principal parts (the parts you must do to Q).

You can only retry a station once (your first attempt and one retry).

You will do the honor from in front of your dog, facing it, at the end of a 6' lead (make sure you have a 6' lead).

You cannot NQ the honor. It's an IP if the dog breaks.

First/last dogs may be used as honor dogs instead of requesting a volunteer. This means the honor could be the first or last exercise if the dog is the last dog in the class and used for the honor on the first dog.

No longer required to "run by" a jump as long as the dog remains in heel position.

OK...new signs

#27 stop and down

This is the old moving down. They just changed the name to reflect what actually happens (you tell the dog to down as you come to a stop beside it). NOTE: the stop is not a sit.

#28 Halt Fast Forward from a sit (self explanatory)

#48a Moving down walk around the dog.

While heeling and without pausing, down the dog and continue to walk around the dog to the left. Pause in heel position after returning to the dog. Dog must heel from the down position.

Thanks for the video links Lydia. I'll check them out Monday night at work. Can't do youtube at home on my dialup

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    Where have you been?? This has been discussed for most of this year.
    Uh......working, teaching agility, riding my horse and keeping the farm up, training my 12 dogs...... ;D
    I did read about upcoming rule changes here just not specific signs added.

Yes there are new signs and new regs. Make sure you read them at AKC's website.

http://www.akc.org/pdfs/about/board_...egulations.pdf
    They have defined the correct performance of an exercise and identified the principal parts (the parts you must do to Q).
    You can only retry a station once (your first attempt and one retry).
    You will do the honor from in front of your dog, facing it, at the end of a 6' lead (make sure you have a 6' lead).
    You cannot NQ the honor. It's an IP if the dog breaks.
    First/last dogs may be used as honor dogs instead of requesting a volunteer. This means the honor could be the first or last exercise if the dog is the last dog in the class and used for the honor on the first dog.

No longer required to "run by" a jump as long as the dog remains in heel position.

Yes, I knew that part as well as the new classes they were going to add with the mega heeling, etc. (not currently interested nor are any offered at any of the spring trials around here). The judge at the trial I went to in late Nov. made the run by optional in our briefing. I have no problems running by though I know some people do.

OK...new signs

#27 stop and down
    This is the old moving down. They just changed the name to reflect what actually happens (you tell the dog to down as you come to a stop beside it). NOTE: the stop is not a sit.

#28 Halt Fast Forward from a sit (self explanatory)

#48a Moving down walk around the dog.
    While heeling and without pausing, down the dog and continue to walk around the dog to the left. Pause in heel position after returning to the dog. Dog must heel from the down position.
    Now we're getting to the "meat of the matter" -- thanks! 48 isn't really new, is it? Maybe I'm thinking of moving stand. Anyways none of the above should be a problem for Ali. Now if they would get rid of that stupid back up three steps!
    Deb H.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Where did you get the new signs?
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast