Remington
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRemington

I've introduced weave poles. He's doing quite well, all 12. On and offside. Much more attuned to what his body is supposed to be doing than Ruger was at his age.

We are now running sequences of about 8 to 10 obstacles. After that his mind starts to wander a bit. But it's slowly coming together. I hope to show him for the first time next fall. He won't be old enough to trial in the spring.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Remington

WTG Remington!! ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

brody is offline Senior Member

my mind wanders after 6 obstacles if it's not a trial so I'm behind him
    how old is he now?

thats great hes getting the weaving thing down - I'm nervous about screwing her up so am not pushing Sally (or myself) nearly enough

congrats!
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

That little baby will be competing by fall? Boy how time flies.

Yeah, time flies!

Remington will be one year old on Thursday!!! I can't believe it.

He's far from being proficient at the weaves, but he's understanding it far better than Ruger did when I began training him, so I'm hoping it continues to go well.

I plan on doing at least Jumpers and Standard AKC and USDAA with him in the fall 2008.

I'm getting his hips x-rayed in two weeks. So hoping all is well there for us to start training a bit harder.

He does have two Rally Novice Legs Waiting to get the 3rd at Hilton Head in the spring.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Way to go Remington ! That's my new years resolution, to get soph weaving ...

Sounds like you've got him on the right track! I'm currently retraining Piper on weaves due to a bit of an agility hiatus

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I'm getting his hips x-rayed in two weeks. So hoping all is well there for us to start training a bit harder.
    Make sure you get his elbows looked at too...I hear more problems there than hips, especially in show bred dogs.

Yes, I thought of that as well. I'll tell the vet to do elbows as well. Thanks for the reminder.

patm is offline Senior Member

Good boy, Remi!! ;D ;D ;D

I am the only one that thing he his to young to be doing weaves and jumping? ???

I do start my dogs at a young age, as in the whelping box, but only things like; baby dog walk, wiggle board ( 4ft x 4 ft plywood on a ball), tunnels, etc. And as they get older I will introduce them to the bigger items on leash. But until they are at least 18 months NO jumping more than 8 to 12 inches. I do obedience until they are old enough and they have passed hips and elbow (2 years old) before I would ever consider entering a Jumpers course.

I am sorry but a Jumpers course is way to much jumping for a dog that young. Then with the weaves and the cutting back and forth puts a lot of stress on those elbows. You are just asking for trouble.

Do not get me wrong, I do not baby my dogs. They all play together hard outside and I do have steps into my house that they learn at a young age. They do get introduced to all the Agility equipment.

But all the repetitive jumping and cutting back and forth is to much for a lab to start while the bones are still growing.

I hope you reconsider and really stop and think about what you are doing to his joints.

Dayna
    Glen-Mar Labradors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast