more sports pysc to inspire us all :)

Thread: more sports pysc to inspire us all :)

brody is offline Senior Member

Defaultmore sports pysc to inspire us all :)

from Your Performing Edge - a book I hadn't actually seen before

(there is quite a bit that's interesting actually - I like the variety of athletes she interviewed for the book- I will post more probably)

self assesment for stress seems like a good place to start 2008 tho

"each person has a characteristic response to stress.What system in your body reacts to pressure? Do you notice any of the following reactions?

feeling fatigued
    racing heart
    muscle tension in jaw,neck , shoulders
    rapid shallow breathing
    stomach upset or vomiting
    desire to urinate
    irritability
    forgetting details
    inability to focus or make decisions
    resorting to old habits
    catching colds frequently

it is important to know your response before a stressful situation (eg competition) and begin doing relaxation before the symptoms get out of hand"

I certainly fall prey to some of the above - and always empty my bladder way more then I usually would when at a trial - but hey so do the dogs

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: more sports pysc to inspire us all :)

from the same book cited above

more self assesment too

self image is key to success according to the author ... it certainly can't hurt to my mind

a 4 prong approach to Self Image Assessment

1) Create a list (WRITTEN) of strengths and assets

physical, accomplishments in all areas, character strengths, qualities you appreicate in yourself

2)Identify your weaknesses

think of what you would like to improve- use only accurate non judgemental descriptions- think about your sports performance as well as general traits

3) Consider negative attitudes that hinder performance
    self condemnation;poor self confidence;fear;perfectionism;lack of competetive spirit;anger and blame; and racing mind are the examples she gives...

4) do a self evaluation rating - rate yourself from 1 (NO) to 10 (YES) on the following

Confidence
    do you have high self confidence that you will do your best in training and competing?
    do you get excited about accepting a challenge?
    do you have feelings of being in control and strength?
    do you like yourself?
    are you satisfied with your current level of sports performance?
    Self Esteem
    are you a perfectionist?
    do you have extreme vulnerablity to critiscm?
    are you non assertive?

"There are no right or wrong answers to these questions and no bottom line score to worry about. Once you've completed your self evaluation you have solid base of information fro which to work."

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Thanks for posting these!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I guess I've done it enough times now that I don't get that nervous any more about showing/competing..

The only time I really get nervous is when I'm going to a new show venue (where I've never been before). I get a bit stressed trying to find where to park in relation to the rings and where I can set up my gear, etc. I probably wouldn't get so stressed but I usually have three dogs with me and it's a handful to get them all crated and settled at a show. Once we are situated, we are all good to go.

Pee. Yep, I pee all the time too, but it's not nerves, it's old age getting to me, plus I'm missing a few internal parts down there now too. Just wait til you get old

I actually don't get nervous either - I don't get snappy or anything like that just pee lots

when I think back to being a teen I was MUCH more nervous with my horse showing but I was often showing other people's horses and I felt my competitive results justified the expense and time invested in the sport..and kept the people who paid me good money to train their horses keeping me employed

now I do agility because I enjoy it - my dogs are happy companions first -but every time I'm competing I'm amazed at how nervous long time competitors are - including one of my coaches .. her personality totally changes and I think it interferes with her success

I have a uber competitive personality in many circumstances so am working hard to use it for my advantage ..sometimes I think I am too lazy in agility - when it really matters to me I tend to get the q ..if I'm just in happy mode I often allow one little bobble to get in the way ..I need to get the fire back without the nerves - especially now that Sally is nearly ready for her debut - she is a HOT prospect and a lot of people are watching us already .. I feel a bit of responsibility to be in the game with her

(Brody and I are about the only folks with expectations for Brody and I so a lot of pressure was off for his debut!)

cheers

DefaultRe: more sports pysc to inspire us all :) next installment added

in the chapter entitled creating balance the author discusses elite athlete's definitions of balance - here is some of what she reported

"balance is being content with yourself not tying your personal worth to results"

"balance is finding beauty,passion and meaning in any activity"

"I need other things to rely on in my life besides sports to feel balanced"

"balance is being exactly where you want to be doing exactly what you want to do"

tools she discusses to create balance include:

moderation
    athletics (cross train)
    eating habits
    business (variety and flexibility)

so there you go - a little more to ponder