I'm a BAD trainer!

Thread: I'm a BAD trainer!

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultI'm a BAD trainer!

I've been very,very bad at my training the last several weeks. We have basically done nothing except a few commands each for a few little treats - things that can be done indoors. Skippy is going to be starting an 8 week basic obedience Jan.10th, and I won't be taking Emilu to class until after that, unless I can get Skippy to stay fairly quiet while I am in class with her. I need to buckle down and start regular training with them both at home. Emilu really likes to train and gets antsy if we don't train for a while. 100 flogs with a wet noodle for me - a bad, bad trainer!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I'm a BAD trainer!

Your not bad You'll get back into the swing of things after the holidays are gone.

I know lately I've been spending more time training my students to train their dogs, than working on my owne dogs.

Although today I started teaching Remington Weave Poles and he did FANTASTIC on them, so I'm pretty pleased.

Just do a little bit each day. It all comes together then.

debjen is offline Senior Member

Nothing wrong with taking some time off..we are out of classes for a few weeks right now and we are taking some time off...no training except for normal nice dog etiquette..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

I think good trainers give themselves and their dogs a break sometimes

I have been doing fitness work and a little bit of table work (as I haven't worked that in wayyyyyyyy too long) with Brody

fitness and basic routines with Sally - touch the touch plate, touch my hand, come, go to mat, down ... blah blah

nothing at all with Thea - she's hibernating til its above zero she keeps telling me

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

kaytris is offline Senior Member

"latent learning" , don't they call it?

Gives your training time to 'set'.

I've been mostly doing free-shaping with Soph and Gus.. some one-jump work too.

brody is offline Senior Member

YAH YAH
    what kaytris said

I'm doing latent learning on purpose like

no bad trainer here

(and anybody who got Gus to pass level one ailseby test is NOT on holidays to my mind- I'm still awestruck )
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Nothing wrong with taking a break. I take breaks thoughout the year where we do nothing but play and be couch potatos. When we get back to training we are both invigorated and I see huge leaps in our skills.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

As others have said, we all take breaks. The dogs probably appreciate it too. It's harder for me as well with the holidays and it getting dark early and being cold outside. I think it's a nice time to take a break around this time of the year.