For shows that don't allow soft crates...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For shows that don't allow soft crates...

DefaultFor shows that don't allow soft crates...

... what do you prefer to use? Wire? Plastic (eg. VariKennel)?

Which are easier to set up/carry?

Thanks, in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: For shows that don't allow soft crates...

I don't go to shows that don't allow them. Sorry.

Wire colapsible crates are easier to store and carry but sometimes are a bit heavier. Vari-kennals are more awkward and take up more room but offer a bit more safety and shelter from the cold. Covers are available for both types and can help with warmth and sun shade. Wire crates offer more airflow around the dog (for those of you trying to get your dog dry after washing them). I think Veri-kennels (or equivalent) look more comfortable to me, but I am not a dog.

Kelly and Amber

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm a wire girl unless I can be with Ruby the entire time. I know she knows how to get out of the soft ones, and she doesn't use the zipper...learned that the hard way

So I usually bring a metal and a big blankie to put over her. She's quite comfy in there.

Our shows are outdoors so we don't have those restrictions but I will say I don't like the Vari kennels because there isn't sufficient air flow for the dog in hot weather (remember we're in AZ).

Thanks guys! I don't normally enter shows that don't allow soft crates, given the choice, but I really wanted to enter this one.

I figure that at least I'll have a non-soft crate for future shows, AND the new puppy can make use of it as well.

Roo!!! Naughty! Henery will teach you how to Houdini yourself out of the soft ones using the zipper!! He's done that twice now (at home!). That'll save your Mom having to buy a new cover for your crate! LOL!

I do prefer the soft crates or better yet now X-pens. The wire crates have injured a few dogs because it is possible for dogs to get caught up in them. Not all dogs and not all wire crates seem to have problems. A friends GSD caught its tail in a wire crate with a side door and managed to cut and injure its tail. Most dogs are fine in wire crates but if you and your dog are new to wire crates maybe a bit of supervised time before the show might be good.

kelly and Amber

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    The wire crates have injured a few dogs because it is possible for dogs to get caught up in them.
    Good point. I have "rescued" a couple of yelping dogs at shows who have had their toes stuck in the wire crates toward the tray at the bottom (various breeds, the most recent being an English Setter in a grooming area while we were visiting with a friend who is a professional handler).

I must have missed it...when are you getting a new puppy? How EXCITING!!!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Oh man!! I hadn't thought about that!!! Thanks, Kelly! Henry was in a wire crate at night when he was a pup (we had a plastic one downstairs for during the day) but hasn't been in one since. Oh lah...

Julie... yep! Hopefully!!! I'm hoping for a little yellow obedience girl out of Melissa's Ruby!!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Around here most of the shows that don't allow soft sided are the breed shows. Even if they have obedience they state that the ban on soft-sidded is for the breed only but obedience people can use them.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast