Need to pick your training brains... (re: long down)

Thread: Need to pick your training brains... (re: long down)

DefaultNeed to pick your training brains... (re: long down)

Henry has been really stressing the long down lately. When we train in class, I do come in periodically and reward him for staying down. If another dog breaks in the line and he keeps his down, he similarly gets rewarded.

A few weeks ago in Lansing, he broke when the Rhodesian Ridgeback broke, stood up and started whining and carrying on. This was after about 30 seconds of looking at me, and looking towards the ridgeback and then back at me, over and over again.

Today, in class, he broke, stood up... Tyler (springer spaniel), a few dogs down, was whining and crying, alternating with breaking.

So... my question is, how do I deal with this? Our instructor suggested (in a trial situation) to keep Henry back from the line a bit so that he can see all of the dogs in his peripheral vision. She thinks he's stressing because he hears the whining and can't see the dog who is whining or what the dog is whining about...

Thoughts? We have a trial coming up in Jan...

Thanks, in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need to pick your training brains... (re: long down)

I would keep working him around the whining dog and let him know he cannot get up no matter what. If you have a whiner available, take advantage of it.

In the lineup, you don't get much of a choice how to set your dog, the judge will tell you and if you try to stay too far back, the judge will most likely move you up so your dog is in line with the others.

Is this for Open or still the Novice class? Regardless, I'd do the downs for at least twice the time you need. 10 minutes for Open and six minutes for Novice. Make your dog nail it. They really need to learn that they cannot break, no matter what goes on around them.

When I'm teaching classes, I put Ruger in a down stay to work with other dogs or to set up equipment, etc. He will stay until I release him. Impresses the heck out of students, but it's something everyone should practice doing. Put Henry in a down stay often and in different locations.

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

Sorry to go slightly OT:

If I remember correctly, excessive vocalization is penalized in the obedience ring. Is this the case for dogs who whine during the long-down?
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I agree with Linda. Keep working him thru it at class. You may want to pull him from any competition until he can get thru this at training so he doesn't develop bad habits where you can't correct him (ie, shows).

Quote Originally Posted by ZRL

If I remember correctly, excessive vocalization is penalized in the obedience ring. Is this the case for dogs who whine during the long-down?
    Absolutely. Sniffing is also penalized.

So, it's at the judge's discretion then, regarding "excessive vocalization"?

This Ridgeback was just crying and whining and carrying on from the time she broke and stood up, and then started wandering about the ring. I've heard dogs whimper/whine for a bit, but this was almost for the full 3 minutes. Henry broke when she started to walk around, and then we were excused from the ring. They all did the long down again, the Ridgeback broke again (did the exact same, whining/crying etc) and two more dogs broke. I think only 1 person qualified in Novice A that day.

Linda, this is still for Novice... we're chasing that elusive last leg. : It'll be a loooooong time before we do Open... the out-of-sight sits and downs are going to be what gets us.

Usually Henry is good with Tyler... he never breaks because Tyler breaks, but today Tyler was whining a lot more than he usually does, and Henry stood up. :-\

Alot of this is proofing the dogs training. Amber does pretty well on stays but we trained next to the train tracks, with people dragging crates and chairs behind her, with dumbells being thrown past her, dogs heeling around her, in the wind, in the rain, in the sun, with kids screaming and running around, with dogs running around, Etc.. the stays I worry about the most are the ones where nothing is happening. It seems that she thinks that anything that happens now is a set-up or proofing exercise, if nothing happens she thinks I am not paying attention..lol

Kelly and Amber