Has anyone made DIY agility obstacles?

Thread: Has anyone made DIY agility obstacles?

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultHas anyone made DIY agility obstacles?

Just curious.

Over christmas break I am going to attempt to make some new jumps for Zeke to practice on, and if that goes well I *might* attempt a DIY teeter (since I need to work on his teeter contact anyway). If anyone has experience with DIY teeters, I'd be happy to hear how you did it.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Has anyone made DIY agility obstacles?

I make most of my stuff. I have a really easy-to-make teeter base. I used treated lumber because I leave it outside all the time. Basically, you can get these brackets at Lowes or Home Depot that allow you to make a saw horse out of 2 x 4 lumber. Buy two brackets. Cut four legs out of the lumber. Make them long enough so that when your saw horse is open the top brackets measure 24" off the ground. I can't remember how long my legs actually are, I initially cut them a bit long and then took some off until I reached the length I needed. The red area across the bottom of this picture is where I added another piece of lumber to brace the saw horse. You don't want to brace it so you can't open and close it because the top red piece is where you lay your steel pipe that is the pivot for the teeter. I have one inch steel pipe, and just lay it across the top of the brackets, pull the saw horse open all the way and the brackets just about close ontop so the bar doesn't go anywhere.

On the underside of your teeter plank you will screw in metal pipe retainers (look in the electrical section at Lowes or Home Depot, you'll find them). Your pipe slides through these for the pivot point.

I hope you can understand this enough to give it a try. It's cheap and easy to make and is a sturdy base for practice.

Also, a really really easy way to make practice weave poles is to get some tent stakes or long aluminum nails (about 8 inches long, you can find them at Lowes). And PVC, use 3/4 inch. Cut your PVC to 36" long (use a hacksaw or buy a PVC cutter (not too expensive and well worth it, they kinda look like heavy shears) All you do is push the nail/tent stake into the ground about four inches, and then place your pole over it. You space them about 20" apart. Easy, fast, cheap way to have practice weaves at home.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Yes...very easy and much cheaper to do than purchasing. I made all of my own obedience jumps and also use them for agility.

I used this website (but 1/2" PVC) to make my jumps

http://www.hickorytech.net/~chchiud/obedequi.htm

There is a Yahoo forum for people who build their own agility equipment. Lots of plans in the files area.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/agility-equipment/

My agility instructor makes her own off set weave poles entirely out of pvc but I can't find any pictures of what hers look like. They are very simple to make.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

Yeah, I am a member of the Yahoo group but the directions on a lot of their files are lacking, IMO. I need more concrete directions if I am not to end up with some sort of "modern art" that is supposed to be a jump :P

I did manage to lift a 6-pole set of weaves off someone my mom works with - he has flat coats, but he stopped doing performance events a few years ago and didn't need his weave poles anymore ;D His weave design is rather ingenious, I may have to get a picture. I think they would be way easier to make than PVC weaves - I doubt it would take over 1hr to make a 12pole set.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure