Agility height question......

Thread: Agility height question......

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultAgility height question......

How are dogs divided into height categories? Is there a standard range or does it depend on the governing body?

TIA!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Agility height question......

Depends on whether your talking AKC, UKC, NADAC, USDAA, etc... I can help with AKC and UKC.

AKC...there are 6 height classes:

8" for dogs 11" and under
    12" for dogs 11"-14"
    16" for dogs 14"-18"
    20" for dogs 18" to 22"
    24" for dogs over 22"
    26" for anyone who wants to jump 26"

AKC offers preferred classes where you can jump the height lower than you're supposed to.

UKC...there are 3 height classes:

8" for dogs under 14"
    14" for dogs 14"-20"
    20" for dogs over 20"
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I think Baloo is hovering around 21 and 3/4 inches right now.... so if he stays 22' or under he'll be in the lower range..? Anyone know what my chances are of him staying around this height? He's almost 9 months (on the 17th)

ETA: Is CKC the same as AKC?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure if CKC is the same as AKC.

It is possible that Baloo will continue to measure into the 20" category - many labs do. It just depends on when he decides to stop growing upwards and start filling out. The only thing about measuring into the 20" class is that's where the majority of those placement-grabbing BCs are :P. Zeke was nice and measured into 24" for me, even though he tried his best to slouch and measure into 20" (his measurement was 22 5/8 and he is really over 23" tall). 24" is my favorite height class.....I like the big jumps :P (and Zeke is abnormally built for a lab, so I could bump him into 26" if I felt like it - no problem).
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

Although my labs are more moderate, they are still built like labs and I wouldn't want to jump them 24"...added stress on their joints that I'm not willing to risk. I have no idea as to whether Baloo will stay under that magical 22", but know that agility measurements are on the short side, so you might be ok. Darwin's height card is 22" but I know that is with him slouched. Piper's small, but her height card is almost funny.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I have no aspirations to make World Team so I see no reason to jump a heavy bodied, large dog at full height. The titles are the same so I don't see the point since we just do this for fun.

Murray is a 24" dog jumping 20" Preferred in AKC. He jumps 22" Performance in USDAA (26" would be his normal height). He jumps 20" in NADAC (24" would be his normal height) but could actually jump 16" since 20" is the tallest height and we are running skilled which means we jump 1 jump height lower. We were originally in the 24" category so 20" was the appropriate category but then they lowered the heighest jump height to 20" and I just stayed where we were. I haven't moved to 16" simply because 20"-22" is easy to switch orgs from weekend to weekend. I hate to think what would happen going from 16" to 22".

Essy is 20". She jumps 16" in all venues but can jump 12" in NADAC because Meghan is jr handler. One of the jr handler trainers told me I really need to let them jump 12" so they can get the extra time on course but I haven't decided yet.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    I have no aspirations to make World Team so I see no reason to jump a heavy bodied, large dog at full height.
    No desire to make world team here either, but I do plan on getting a MACH

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I measured Amber when she was 17 months old and she measured 22.5" so we jumped 24" in AKC for most of her puppy measurement. Then when I had her measured for her Offical Measurement (You have to have them measured once the turn 2 years old for their pemenant height card) she measured 21.75 and 22 even so my height card says 21.88" and she now jumps 20". If you want to get a good measurement you can run them till they are tired and get them calm and relaxed before measuring. Make sure there are no females in heat around. Introduce your dog to the judge before getting measured. measure in the afternoon or evening etc. You might want to se if you can get your dog measured now or if you have to wait till they are 15 months old. If there is an AKC field rep or a VMO at a trial they can measure your dog and give you a temorary yellow height card slip. You don't have to be entered in a trial to get a measurement so you might ask if there is going to be a VMO or a AKC field rep at a local show so you can ask them and or get measured. AKC does allow you to move up in height class if you want so you can still jump 24" even if you measure out for the 20" class. The only reason for running regular height vs the lower prefered class is that you cannot get a MACH (Master Agility CHampionship) from the lower prefered class.

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

Editing lost the post - if I have time I will re-type later (post Organic Chem studying).
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure