My Next Dog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Next Dog

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy Next Dog

You know how you think a lot about getting your next dog (well, I do anyway)...

I will most likely always have a labrador, I just love them.

However, after a lot (years) of thought and finally finding the look I like, I've decided my next dog will be a rough coated border collie.

Did I hear a collective gasp???

Seriously, I really like the look of these dogs. I would prefer to find a tri-color but if not I like the plain ole black and white ones.

The thing that really swayed me was that Mom really liked them too. This place I went to get hay, they had three of them, and Mom was like, "what kind of dogs are these, they're really nice!"

So that sealed the deal as mom is my dog's grandma and she does take care of them for me when I'm not there.

It will be years til I get one... but that's what I'm going for next time around.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

in my agility circle of friends, we call that 'going to the dark side'

Are you planning on a work or show line border?

I don't know. I'm looking at Lock-eye border collies and Lacy border collies. Those are the ones most popular in my area on the agility circuit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Yep, most agility people eventually end up with a BC! LOL!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I'll never own a dog who's smarter than me, and brags about it to its friends.

My Labs are smarter than me, but they don't let on.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    I'll never own a dog who's smarter than me, and brags about it to its friends.

My Labs are smarter than me, but they don't let on.
    LOL ... I love that Lab's still 'let' you think you're in charge. I think I'll always be a Lab owner!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

debjen is offline Senior Member

LOL..BC's are just to much for me....I am surprised I ended up with a Poodle but I got to say I'm having a kick with him...he is very smart but also really wants to please and has a nice flare..where as with the Cavs Robbie is pretty smart but doesn't always care if he pleases tho he does have a nice flare when he wants to turn it on and be good..LOL..and Cedar is smart enough but somewhat of a velcro dog and too worried about doing things right to have much flare..although he is getting much better about being a velcro dog...and My Riley boy..well our trainer use to say with Riley what you see is what you get...no deep thought or motives just wants to be with his mom...

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Cool Linda! I likie BCs. Waaayyy woo much intensity for me, that stare kinda creeps me out.

I'm sure I'll end up with a BC cross or something of the like for our next dog though, as I want a rescue that I can do all the same stuff with (agility, dock dogs, etc) and we have BC crosses everywhere. Literally, tons and toins of them. Mostly because they run amok on the mennonite farms fairly close by breeding like crazy.

I guess I'll just have to do a "stare test" prior to adoption, and if I feel like the dog is burning holes in me with their eyes, we'll keep looking.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Their intensity used to really bother me too, but honestly, I've worked with so many of them in my class now, that I'm used to it. I have grown to love their work ethic!! Yes, for the average dog owner I think a BC is way too much dog. But I think I'm a good enough trainer to have a good go with a BC.

As long as I am physically strong enough to handle a lab, I will always have a lab, I too just love their goofy personalities.

Since I already am a "dark sider" with all my Nikon gear... I guess that moniker won't matter much to me with the BC's!!

brody is offline Senior Member

I'm so glad my dogs find me - takes so much thinking off my plate
    my hubby says next dog will be a sporting dog - lab or golden - we'll see.

I live with a bc mix who I call "a little drivey"
    by a little drivey I really mean completely ocd- I have never seen a dog smash their nose into a touch plate with quite Sally's gusto ... nor leap off a 7 foot high deck to get her ball - nor, nor, nor ...
    if she's only part bc I think a full bc would be very hard to live with
    working her is just incredible I must admit
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast