AXJ leg!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AXJ leg!

labnpug is offline Senior Member

DefaultAXJ leg!

I'm happy to report that today Cori got leg #2 towards her excellent jumpers title (AKC) in agility.
    I have entered either her and/or Jazz each day of a huge 4 day trial, nicknamed "Hounds for the Holidays" or "Hounds" in Milwaukee. There are 900 runs per day, 3 rings going all day long. There were 340 in excellent jumpers today, 31 in ex A 20 inch where we are and only 4 qualifiers of which Cori was one. Course was really tight and basically circles within circles (I almost got lost). After watching dog after dog nq I was very pleased to be among the "elite" today. I think the advantage for us was that Cori is a more methodical worker (as in slower times) so I don't lose control of her on a course like this whereas the faster dogs were taking jumps out of order instead of turning where they should have. (Thursday we had a knocked bar so not as fortunate and there were only 2 q's in her class.) The q rate is quite low this weekend (they are giving figures of q's vs. total runs for each ring) -- less than 1/3, lower for some classes. Is that what most of you see in your area? I can tell you the novice jumpers class had tricks I hadn't seen before in novice today and I knew novice has been getting tougher but that was ridiculous as there were many there at their very first trial and I fear we will be discouraging the new people in the sport. I know if I wasn't as knowledgeable I would have probably given up with Jazz as it is always something new with her -- today she blew the a-frame contact and left the jump bars up, yesterday she hit the last board of the broad jump, etc.
    Deb H.
    www.dunnsmarshlabs.com
    <br />Cori and Lily (my angel pug)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: AXJ leg!

Congratulations! That sounds like so much fun!
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Congrats Deb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Cori and Jazz!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Woohoo! Congrats!!! 4 out of 31 That's amazing.

I've always said I prefer a steady dog to a fast dog. Sure when fast dogs are on they are on but boy when they are off they can quickly make a mess of things. I'll take my methodical dog any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by labnpug
    The q rate is quite low this weekend (they are giving figures of q's vs. total runs for each ring) -- less than 1/3, lower for some classes. Is that what most of you see in your area? I can tell you the novice jumpers class had tricks I hadn't seen before in novice today and I knew novice has been getting tougher but that was ridiculous as there were many there at their very first trial and I fear we will be discouraging the new people in the sport.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. My daughter is in Novice and many times her courses are more difficult than my Open courses. Our agility trainer comments all the time about how tough the novice courses are and she has agility CH dogs in several venues. She said the orgs (all of them) are doing that because agility isn't new anymore. Many of the old time competitors want to be challenged even at the Novice level which is fine for them, not so fine for the people brand new to the sport. My thinking is they should have a B level Novice class with the tougher courses, not just splitting out those that have titled before, instead of scaring off the next generation of competitors.

We see lots of 180s on the courses even at the Novice level. Also some very challenging starts where you are just about required to lead out 3 obstacles at a min often at very odd angles...not very nice for a Nov A person's first trial.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

debjen is offline Senior Member

Congrats..I too am noticing harder novice courses..now that I'm back in novice after 8 years..and on many nested courses I sometimes think novice is harder than open because you lose obstacles that help the flow of the course

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Woohoo!!!! That's awesome!

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Congratulations!! ;D Sounds like agility would do well with B class like obedience.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

patm is offline Senior Member

Whoo Whoo - Big Congrats!!! I' don't know that much about agility - but you never want to "eat your young" so to speak. Sounds like they need to do some thinking about their Novice courses.

brody is offline Senior Member

I only just started playing agility this year but keep hearing that the aac courses are too hard at starters level
    my very steady little guy has run many many many clear rounds to end up as close as .2 seconds overtime - lots of the dogs I went through with are still at the starters level however I am grateful to the tough courses - in aac you get ONE q in each of the games and move up- I'm actually grateful that only in jumpers did Brody q first time out - we needed some starter miles...
    the qs are pretty reinforcing tho - from April 1 to August 1 was a long dry spell and I, despite being very pleased with the way Brody was running, did find myself wondering on occasion if agility was the sport for us

so I hear you - perhaps starters B would make sense but I wouldn't want to be in harder courses - or much easier ones either

congrats too btw

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

WooHoo, congrats. That is wonderful news. Excellent level around my parts is tough. I'm having problems making course time in the Open level, I don't know if we'll make it through Excellent (but we'll try).

All in all the Novice classes here are not that hard. Then again, I train my students to handle really tough courses. When they get to a trial everyone always says to me, "gee, is this all there is to the course." I kinda over-prepare them.

CPE Level 1 courses are really really easy in comparison to AKC and USDAA as well.

I think USDAA Novice is much harder than AKC in my area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast