Utility day 1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utility day 1

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultUtility day 1

We're back in Utility after a 2 month hiatus. It was a wet, muddy, rainy day. We were the last dog of a class of 12 in UA (14 w/2 no shows due to the weather). The rain stopped, the clouds parted, and the sun came out just as we went in the ring. A sign from heaven? Nope...just a partical joke. Murray blew the down signal. :-\ He sat instead of downing.

The rest of the run was very nice except for the mouthing of the articles. > I'm out of ideas on how to fix that one...very frustrating. Oh, and today instead of grabbing the articles by one bar, he grabbed them by both. :

The ring was set up really weird so even though there were 5 stancions across the end (including the corners), the middle one wasn't actually in the middle (off to the right by about 5'). :-\ This messed up everything from gloves (steward still put glove #2 a the middle stancion) to go outs. Murray got glove #3 which was my fear because now glove #2 was closer than it was supposed to be. We pivoted. Murray immediately looked at glove #2, then I marked glove #3 and sent him. He ran straight out to #3, grabbed it, then ran straight back and never even looked sideways at glove #2 again. ;D

The crowning moment was the directed jumping. Murray did the most beautiful straight fast go outs right to the center and he sat. He was so proud of himself (sitting straight and square, grinning, chest poofed out, tail wagging) and I was so proud of him I was grinning too. I signaled the first jump and he took it. Lined up for the 2nd go out, sent him. Again he was straight and fast. I signaled the 2nd jump and he took it. I was so proud of him. I released him and he knew I was happy. He started bouncing around my feet, leaping in the air, acting all goofy while I was trying to get his leash back on. The judge apologized for the NQ on the signals. Why do they do that? She didn't NQ us, we did it all on our own. I could tell she liked Murray though. There was only 1 qualifier today.

My agility instructor had been watching (she has a dog in Nov but has put obedience titles on many dogs). She said "I can't even begin to tell you how proud I am of you and Murray. His attitude was awesome and he was so fun to watch." She said "many people squelch their dog's enthusiasm in obedience but you didn't. I don't care how a dog does as long as he is enjoying himself." It meant a lot to me particularly after working so hard to bring Murray's attitude and enthusiasm back.

We get to go back tomorrow and try it again. Forecast is for more rain...lots of it. Hopefully that is the sign I've been looking for.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Utility day 1

WTG Murray and Lydia on the improvements especially the go outs and his attitude........ you are so close!! Good luck tomorrow and bring home the green!! ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

patm is offline Senior Member

Awwwwwww - sorry about the NQ, but sounds like the rest of it was GREAT!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Sounds great!

Green thoughts for tomorrow!
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

labnpug is offline Senior Member

Even though you didn't qualify it sounds like he is making progress and will soon. (hopefully tomorrow!)
    Good luck tomorrow!
    Deb H.
    www.dunnsmarshlabs.com
    <br />Cori and Lily (my angel pug)

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you've made great progress. As far as fixing the mouthing of the articles, has Murray been force fetched? I don't remember if you're opposed to it (not meaning to offend) or not. If you're not, it usually fixes mouthing issues.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Lydia that is wonderful! And for a boy who you thought was finished! So glad about the attitude. That is the game in Utility! Great! It'll come!

Now, have him talk to Caleb about doing go-outs! ;D
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tatyana
    As far as fixing the mouthing of the articles, has Murray been force fetched? I don't remember if you're opposed to it (not meaning to offend) or not. If you're not, it usually fixes mouthing issues.
    No offense taken. He is force fetched. He doesn't mouth when he's in close to me (taking from my hand or near my feet) or when he carries the article while heeling, only when he runs to fetch it and bring it back to me. It could be a stress thing. I'm not sure. I don't want to correct him when he brings it back because I don't want him to think I'm correcting the fact that he brought the article back. That would cause a whole new problem. He's very confident, quick worker on articles...don't want to mess that part up. I was hoping purchasing the double bar articles would help with the mouthing but now I've possibly got the new issue that he's picking it up by both bars (first time today).

Someone suggested trying some non traditional articles but I don't know what to use. No one out here uses anything except traditional articles. I can't picture how using tuna cans would work. I'd be afraid the dog would get cut on the metal rim. Does the dog pick it up by the rim...wouldn't that possibly cover their eyes or block their line of vision?

Oh to be able to peer into those fuzzy little brains.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

debjen is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the well done exercised..sounds like things are coming together good

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Someone suggested trying some non traditional articles but I don't know what to use.
    I saw some one use canning rings and rings of leather (heavy strap) ......... she did have a smaller type dog.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast