Oh lah, Henery!! :(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh lah, Henery!! :(

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultOh lah, Henery!! :(

Today was not to be our day!! He was so out of sorts this morning, I just knew when I opened his crate and he didn't come bounding out like normal.

We did okay on the heeling, F8 and stand for exam, offlead heeling was laggy but no more than usual. He rocked his recall (!! ). Long sit went okay but I could see he was stressed. Then came the long down... he was not comfortable. The rhodesian 2 dogs away from him started crying and whining. Henry looked more stressed. Then the rhodesian broke and stood up. Henry looked more stressed. Then the rhodesian gave a big whine and started to walk around and Henry broke and ran over to her.

We were excused from the ring, and they all did the long down again. The rhodesian broke again, and then the golden. Out of the class of 6, only 1 person qualified. Yikes.

So, my question is, do I put him in again tomorrow after all that?? He's never broken a long sit or down in competition before. Ever. I don't want him thinking it's okay.

Help?

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Oh lah, Henery!! :(

:

That's a tough one

depends a bit on why he broke his down ... and if the same dogs will be there to distract him ( I'd guess yes but really have no clue)

does he worry when dogs are fussy usually? I cannot imagine Thea holding a down if another ANYWHERE in her hearing was crying - she's a total MOM and can't bear to hear/see suffering ..very entertaining usually but wouldn't be in a long down

If you really thought he was off this morning I'd worry about a bit about why he was off..if he was odd tomorrow I'd certainly consider scratching - often our instincts are wayyyyyy ahead of anything clinical

on the other hand - if you've already entered the long down may be perfect tomorrow and he may happily illustrate something else for you to work on

(personally when Brody and I blow something in a trial day one I work hom without drilling it the night before day two - so far that has cleared up the bobbles generally)

dogs are dogs - we are humans

my usual advice is go for it - but I think you are wise to think it through (then go for it!)

cheers

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I agree with gaging how he feels tomorrow. If he feels better, you can certainly do your regular exercises. If anything goes wrong there, you can ask to be excused for stays. You can probably ask to be excused from stays if the same Rodesian is there. It depends on the secretary, some are better at letting people get excused.

Also, if we mess up on one exercise and NQ one day, we work on that exercise in the evening and try again the next day. Usually, we Q the next day. I hope you'll have better luck tomorrow!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Thanks guys. His stays are fairly solid in class and training, the only thing he ever does is roll from one hip to the other during the long down. We have a springer spaniel in class who always breaks and runs around, so it's good distraction training. That's why I was a bit surprised that Henry broke today. But, in class he's usually really relaxed, and this morning he definitely was not.

The Rhodesian isn't coming back tomorrow. I was chatting with her owner afterwards (she's really nice, I met her at the trials in Flint) and she apologized for her dog making Henry break!! I said it wasn't at all her dog's fault... he was already stressed before she broke. Anyway, she isn't coming back tomorrow... she said that the dog has had a lot of problems with the long down lately so she's pulling her from the class.

I'll see how the monkey is feeling tomorrow!

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

brody is offline Senior Member

you'll feel better knowing the rhodesian isn't there so as long as Henry seems himself tonight - and gives you some good review (not drill) moments I stick with my GO FOR IT

cheers

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Nothing like getting back on the horse

Hopefully it's just an off day
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Tomorrow is another day. I say go for it as long as you don't think he's sick or otherwise incapacitated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatyana
    It depends on the secretary, some are better at letting people get excused.
    That's a judges call, not the secretary. All you have to say is that you (or Henry) isn't feeling well (not necessarily a lie because I can tell you've I've definitely felt very ill after some of Murray's lackluster performances )and that will be the end of the discussion.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

patm is offline Senior Member

Unless you can tell that he is feeling punk tomorrow, definitely go for it, espcecially since the Rhodie won't be there. I know that a dog whining and then breaking would be hard for Emilu too.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I would go for it. I would also do some long downs with lots of distractions this evening. I often leave a show and go train some.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I'm with the others ............ if he is acting normal go in and compete. It is so hard to pull when you have paid the entry fees and driven that kind of distance.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast