Halt Pivot Left - help needed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halt Pivot Left - help needed

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultHalt Pivot Left - help needed

How on earth do you go about teaching this? Your dog is sitting to your left. You must pivot towards your dog (left) and he has to follow you (i.e. lift his butt and re-sit) and sit next to you.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Halt Pivot Left - help needed

Remarkably alot of dogs that can do obedience heeling will automatically do this. Test this by heeling and stoping and then say heel and turn left and then either walk forward if your dog didn't move from the sit or if the dog got up when you gave the heel comand and turned with you just say sit. If the dog got up but didn't move his butt over when you turned alot of times you can simply say "Heel and the dog will piviot into the correct heel position. Igf the dog doesn't then you can simply step into the dog and walk forward until the dog is straight and praise. The other way to teach it is to heel in tighter and tighter circles using whatever correction you use for non straight sits. a left pivot really is just a tool for teaching correct heel position. The comand Heel doesn't mean to walk it means to keep your head and body in a position next to me no matter what I do.

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

patm is offline Senior Member

I was worried about this also, but when I started training Emilu to do pivots, she did them almost automatically. I used a combination of hand-luring and telling her to "heel" - she knew heel as a postition by my side pretty well. There are ways of training your dog to be aware of their rear-end, and having them learn to move their rears one way or the other, but we did nice pivots without actually learning to do this first.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Another useful command to teach is the "get back". This is the one I used when teaching this exercise. As I made my pivot, I'd tell Buddy to "get back" and put pressure on the leash in a backwards movement. This meant for him to get back into position by moving his butt backwards. To help him get the idea, I'd make my pivot very close to his front feet. I would just barely put pressure with my foot on his toes. This would cause him to try to move away from me. It's a good idea to do this exercise in a complete 360 degree circle 1/4 turn at a time. Then you can do it in a 180 degree turn. You will need it in one of the later Rally exercises.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

I use GET BACK but I don't use leash commands and I don't lure.

The first time I do it, I slide my foot through the legs towards the tail. The dog doesn't like that and they go flying! Praise for any movement.

Sit the dog again and when they anticipate the movement with the 'BACK' then lure and place.

Its not easy to get them to learn to move butt first. But this command made it very easy to teach to heel backwards.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone
    I will try out the suggestions and see what works for Rocky (err - and for me!)

I'm also working hard on some BASICS. He always knew "down" but is very very veerrry slow. and does a sit on the way. so I'm retraining to achieve a quick "down!" one fluid movement. At the moment he does it with luring. We might need to see how well he REALLY understands heel as well (he knows it but i'm starting to wonder if it's too vague for Rally)

Our first class ends next week. We've reviewed all the drills for the novice group and understand them but needs lots of practice. I'd kinda like to try a novice rally competition in the spring - just for fun
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Hmm.

I use "Get back" for left pivot and "get close" for right pivot. I taught the left pivot by stepping into her while popping back (sometimes using my left hand with cheese)- talk about an exercise in coordination. I found that since she knew she was to be with my left leg and watching me, she pretty much knew it- she just need it explained once or twice and we were good to go.

Lydia has a really thorough method, too.

I also differentiate between loose leash walking and HEEL (attention on me, watching me, sit when I stop, etc). I use Let's go for loose leash walking. There's a really big difference when it comes to competing between loose leash walking and heel.

<br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I think if your dog really understands what heel position in, this will come easily. Do a lot of doodling while heeling. As you heel, tell your dog to stay, you keep walking away anywhere any distance, and keep walking as you call your dog to heel. See if your dog can find heel position on his own. To me this is a good way to determine if your dog really truly understands what heel is.

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I use "Get In" to tell Amber to move her butt toward me. I use "Up Sit" to tell her to sit further forward even if it is just an inch or two this also works for crooked sits with the butt to far in. I use "Back" to have her sit further backward or to move backward if she downs to far forward. "Back and Get In" also work while heeling.

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I have a couple of different methods.

Murray had zero hind end awareness so for him I used a raised round heeling board. Purchase a 24" circle of wood from Home Depot or similar. Nail 1X1s underneath at the edges. Make sure it doesn't tip. Sit the dog on the board and ask them to heel. They will usually take one step then try to step off. The board is raised so the dog understands immediately if it is on or off the board. Put them back on and try again...one step at a time as you heel around the outside of the board while the dog stays on. Once the dog understands this, try backing up on the board. Then you can try the next smaller circle 18" I think, then 12", etc. This teaches hind end awareness which gives you incredible pivots and helps in agility too.

Essy has really good hindend awareness so she didn't need the heeling board. Instead, I put her in a buckle collar sitting in heel position snugged up tight to my leg with the leash behind my knees and held in my right hand snug. Say "get back" or whatever your command will be and start to slowly pivot to the left. It will tighten the collar/leash and the dog will be forced to move. Stop and praise immediately. Try again gradually adding one step at a time. Keep going until you can get a full 360 turn.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast