another NADAC weekend

Thread: another NADAC weekend

labnpug is offline Senior Member

Defaultanother NADAC weekend

We had NADAC trials again this weekend with both Jazz and Cori. These were games only. Fortunately they were only 15 miles from my house as we got a major winter storm yesterday, 6 plus inches of snow followed by freezing rain. Most people did make it to the trials and many who made it ended up getting hotels and staying overnight. It was a hair-raising drive home last night and then almost ended stuck at the end of my own driveway after managing to make it that far.

Cori didn't get any "q's" as she didn't make time (she is in open) in any class. I took her to a holistic animal clinic on Thursday for acupuncture and/or chiropractic. Dr. Dawn ended up just doing the chiropractic and some massage on her as she said her back muscles are really tight. We have done a full set of x-rays and she doesn't have anything wrong joint wise (at least as of mid-July) so Dr. Dawn is thinking it is still related to her c-section last winter. I had hoped the treatment would help but she was still too slow. Sometimes she just started out trotting the course and then by the 4th or 5th obstacle would speed up so I'm trying to figure out if it is physical or mental. We have AKC trials this next weekend (she is in excellent) so I hope things go better.

Jazz had "moments of brilliance" but not as many q's as last weekend. She had 5 first places (she is in 20 inch height so against the BC's and Aussies) and a 2nd which was great. She finished her elite tunnelers title today. Things are going better with her starts -- I started doing a down stay last weekend, can't get very far away yet (I can in practice but not in the real world) but she tried to break once and I got her back in a stay before I released her. I also did a "sling shot" start twice which really worked nicely.
    The "q" rate was really down this weekend -- some of the hardest courses I've ever seen in NADAC especially today in touch n go and tunnelers. In fact we didn't make time in a couple of them and that is highly unusual for Jazz. Lots of off-courses for everyone, even some of the dogs that have won at the championships had problems. We have AKC trials next weekend so I hope some of what we've made progress on the last 2 weekends carries over although I'm really starting to think NADAC is a better venue for Jazz's style.
    Deb H.
    www.dunnsmarshlabs.com
    <br />Cori and Lily (my angel pug)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: another NADAC weekend

Sounds like you had alot of fun. Congratulations on the Q's. ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the new title. Glad you are taking Cori to a holistic vet. Deb, I think I told you how much the twice a month massages have been helping Caleb. Interesting about Jazz--similar to what I have with Caleb. You always told me he would be a late bloomer but I did not guess in this as well.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Okay, I'm curious. What is a "sling shot" start? Is this a running start?

I do a start where I sit Ruger and I push back on him as I get him revved to go, then I release him and we run together and he's FAST FAST FAST. I can't wait to try this at a trial. I learned it at our recent seminar. Just wondering if this would be termed a sling-shot start

Sounds like you had a good weekend despite the horrid weather. Congrats on your Q's.

labnpug is offline Senior Member

It is a strategy for being ahead of the dog -- a parallel path lead-out, or a sling-shot start. You can angle the dog back a ways from the first obstacle (all tunnels this past weekend) and you are next to them but then you send them to that obstacle while you take a straight path to the 2nd obstacle to direct them so that you can stay ahead of them. Clear as mud? Maybe I can try to draw it and attach it if you are interested.
    Deb H.
    www.dunnsmarshlabs.com
    <br />Cori and Lily (my angel pug)

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Can you motivate Cori with your voice? I know Meghan has to really cheerlead Essy otherwise she just lopes around the ring. When she gets her silly voice going, Essy goes a little nuts so there is a fine line there.

Luv the games. ;D We have an all games weekend on Dec 15-16. We have to wait until Jan to see Hoopers again though. My trainer and I were recently talking about how tough the novice courses are becoming. I know some of the ones my daughter ran with Essy were tougher than my open courses.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE