Obedience training question....please help

Thread: Obedience training question....please help

gardechef is offline Junior Member

DefaultObedience training question....please help

I am going to adopt a labrador retriever from the humane society and have been told that the dog has previously won ribbons at obedience competitions, my question is How can I find out what commands the dog is used to, is there a simple way to "retrain" the basic commands,such as sit,heel, stand, etc..any help would be great and since he has been in competitions are there other commands he should know that I am unaware of..any help would be great I am a first time lab owner and want to learn all that I can

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Obedience training question....please help

Try to ask the shelter workers what competitions he won ribbons at

He could have won at the "best behaved pet competition" for not jumping on the granny judge- and then there really isn't a command issue. But he also could be an obedience/competition dog. However, these dogs don't tend to end up at the humane society because their owners put tons of time and money into them- so god forbid, they can't keep them, they return them to the breeder, place them privately, or place them with a rescue. They really don't tend to place their competition dog with a shelter that might put their dog to sleep, you know? Even if he is a competition dog- there are no required commands- if i want to teach my dog that "cheese" means "come"- that's fine with the judges!

I think you guys will do just fine sorting each other out. Just give it time & take a basic obedience class with him. Don't expect too much in the first weeks.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

labnpug is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gardechef
    I am going to adopt a labrador retriever from the humane society and have been told that the dog has previously won ribbons at obedience competitions, my question is How can I find out what commands the dog is used to, is there a simple way to "retrain" the basic commands,such as sit,heel, stand, etc..any help would be great and since he has been in competitions are there other commands he should know that I am unaware of..any help would be great I am a first time lab owner and want to learn all that I can
    No offense but I think it would be highly unusual that a competition obedience dog would end up in a shelter or rescue. The only reason I could think that would happen would be if the owner died with no relatives willing to take the dog or if the dog bit someone and they weren't willing to deal with it themself. Maybe the dog was in 4H obedience.

What I would do is just use the basic commands such as sit, heel, down and come and see if the dog reacts to them. Also, if the dog does not walk nicely on a loose leash that still doesn't mean it doesn't know commands -- I've seen some highly trained obedience dogs who are terribly behaved outside the ring.
    Good luck,
    Deb H.
    Dunn's Marsh
    www.dunnsmarshlabs.com
    <br />Cori and Lily (my angel pug)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Congrats on your new Lab and thanks for adopting! As others have said, it's unlikely for a competition dog to end up in a shelter, but not impossible. Do you know the dog's registered name? You can look up on the AKC website what titles the dog has.

Most obedience trainers use standard commands, "sit," "down," "come" or "here," "heel." The best way to retain those commands is to use them in everyday life and remember to praise for compliance.

brody is offline Senior Member

while I am pleased to see the reaction of disbelief from the group here I have to tell you I'm not shocked at all - nor do I think its unlikely

the dog may not be a top dog but to have some titles and end up in a shelter is not that unusual

I have had MANY dogs come to me over the years for some pretty tragic reasons... including dogs that rank in the top dogs in Canada in their breed in both obedience and confirmation

Not all breeders and competitors are equally ethical - nor do all value a retired dog

One common way these dogs get to me is that they are "retired" into a pet home - the pet home gives up on the dog and breeder either doesn't know or doesn't care ... therefore the dog ends up in the shelter system

Deaths in families, jail and change in living situations are the next most common ways dogs of this type seem to find me

it's very sad but I'm so pleased for you and your new companion - you'll have fun figuring out what you each know

cheers

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller