Obiedience classes

Thread: Obiedience classes

Nobile is offline Member

DefaultObiedience classes

Hello everyone. We have decided to not get both pups at once, instead we will get the chocolate lab the first week of January, and then if all goes well a second pup sometime in the late summer. Again thank you all for the great advice and helping us to realize that two at once just isn't very smart. We live in northern New Jersey and I was wondering how soon should we plan on signing up for an obiedence school and how should I go about picking one out ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Obiedience classes

congrats on the pups There are actually alot of advantages to bringing home just one

Talk to the breeder about classes, they may have recommendations. Ask your vet (this is what I did). Ask anyone you meet with a dog where they went and what they thought of the class (i asked almost everyone at the dog park where they went and ended going to the most recommended place!).

You'll be starting off with puppy class (with puppies of the same age and with the same shots - you have to be very careful where you bring a pup until they have had ALL their shots).

One you have a few names or places, you can usually ask to go view a class. It can be helpful to see how things work. But there are questions you can ask on the phone. What is their philosophy? What do they cover in their class (again, with puppy classes it will only be the basics). Generally those that stress a friendly/encouraging method of training are the better ones (depending on your own philosophy). I prefer ones that realize not ALL dogs learn the same way and can give you different tips on how to get a behavior.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Are you anywhere near Flanders, NJ Here is a website for Betsy Scapicchio's training facility. I have taken a seminar from her and Linda Brennan.

http://www.topdogobedience.com/

"In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nobile is offline Member

I don't believe it, but after checking the web site out for Top Dog Obedience. They are maybe 7 minutes away from my house! thanks so much