Obedience Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obedience Question

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultObedience Question

I was at a huge pet expo in Montreal last weekend. on top of the vendors (pet food, various pet animals, toys/stuff, breeders) there was flyball (I was there with my flyball team - Rocky was warm-up dog), agilty, disc dog (frisbee), obedience and conformation. yeah - crazy place!

anyhoo, I don't get the opportunity to watch all these things so I soaked it all in. But was VERY disappointed we were not allowed to watch obedience. they were off in the back - behind the conformation rings. I snuck a peak of a GSD doing turns/go to's.

Is it normal to keep obedience away from the public?

I caught the labs in the conformation ring at some point so fun to see!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Obedience Question

We're normally away from the conformation rings but I wouldn't say we are hidden from the public.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

this weekend they were HIDDEN from the public. I was looking for them and noticed the set-up so I knew it was there. I asked and was told there was no way for spectators to get near the ring.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

That is a shame. The AKC and other organizations need to make the public more aware of obedience and to have it accessable.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    anyhoo, I don't get the opportunity to watch all these things so I soaked it all in. But was VERY disappointed we were not allowed to watch obedience. they were off in the back - behind the conformation rings. I snuck a peak of a GSD doing turns/go to's.

Is it normal to keep obedience away from the public?
    Did you have Rocky with you? Most stewards/secretaries, etc, are very strict (in my experience) about enforcing the no unentered dogs rule, so if Rocky was with you, that could explain why you couldn't watch it.

I know a lot of obedience competitors around here and on another list that I belong to are not thrilled about the general public watching obedience. In my experience (and these other people's), it is because they do not just watch. Little kids are often unsupervised people want to touch the dogs and rarely ask, people run over dogs' tails with strollers, etc.

However, there is an argument to be made that some of those people may go on to do obedience. My two cents is that the people that want to enter obedience/are considering it behave appropriately. The public that wanders in (especially when shows are held at parks and rec centers) rarely has an intention/desire to enter obedience and is often the problem. There's really no way to separate out the two groups- so maybe having someone as a greeter/informer of how things work (ie, rules of behavior) would be good.

I know you aren't one of the general public - but after having Gabby almost climbed on by a small child when she has hip/back issues and have the parents not care, seeing dogs' tails run over by strollers, and hearing "OOOOOOOHHH" and being rushed during a warm up to pet the dog because they have one like it at home, etc....I kind of like it set away.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Rocky wasn't with me at that time.

I guess I just don't get why they would get special treatment. The stands for flyball were 5 feet from where the dogs ran. People were leaning on the low gate for the conformation dogs. Squeakers were going on left and right (from the toys at the various booths). flashes everywhere. But the only "event" that limited access was obedience. Agility, frisbee, flyball, conformation all had to "deal" with the public.

I do understand why they would want to separate themselves. But those would be the same reasons all teh other events would have wanted "more space". Maybe it has to do with the lower level of energy in obedience (as opposed to the sports).

the bit i did see was fun

here are the labs in the conformation - i think they may have been younger as the one kept jumping up on their owner

only one yeller in that group, the rest were chocolate

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Cool pics!! Looks like a sold out crowd. 8)

The only obedience shows I've ever been to were partnered with conformation, and they were VERY open. There were vendors selling stuff maybe ten feet from the rings, people running their dogs up and down beside the rings, people watching, people talking and laughing (again, right beside the rings, and we're talking inches, in some cases.)

It was great, as I had gone all that way just to watch. I would have been really disappointed if someone had told me to leave. :-[
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya

I do understand why they would want to separate themselves. But those would be the same reasons all teh other events would have wanted "more space". Maybe it has to do with the lower level of energy in obedience (as opposed to the sports).
    You're probably right- I think it has to do with energy levels and general attitudes between the sports.

For example, I used to show hunter jumpers (horses). It was never appropriate to do more than a golf clap as a spectator at the A shows. However, eventers (ie, Rolex Kentucky type stuff)- encouraged cheering, whoops, claps, etc. Same deal with obedience and other dog sports.

<br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

LOL! no no, there were ALOT of people, honest. But it was in the olympic stadium so...well it's HUGE as you can imagine no need for sitting in the bleachers. everyone was on the floor

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Most of the shows I have been to and competed in tend to have obedience/rally (and less so, agility) off to the side and more-or-less "away" from everything. I always figured it was to decrease the distraction levels for the competitors, but I don't know? ???

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast