Opinions on Training Needed (UPDATE, HELP LAST POST)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Training Needed (UPDATE, HELP LAST POST)

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultOpinions on Training Needed (UPDATE, HELP LAST POST)

I have nine days until our trial.

Do I run Ruger through the entire Utility A run everyday, (several times) or work only on our weak areas (doing drill work) and maybe run him through everything the last couple of days.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Opinions on Training Needed

A few days before I often do a number of Utility run-thrus to see where things breakdown (like I need to know!). Then I'll spend the next few days just working on drills. I know people who never put it all together until the actually go into the ring. Never ever! They just work on the drills.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

I honestly think Ruger learns better when he sees the "entire package", that's one reason I like to do entire run-thrus.

But I think I will go ahead and break it down to drills.

Susan... I am having a new issue. Ruger is getting Gloves and Go-out exercise confused and I don't know how to avoid it or help him. Any ideas? Today, when we did gloves, he did glove #3 perfectly. I sent him to #1 and he got confused out there and turned and sat. I am not working go-outs and gloves back to back. I do seperate them with other exercises. Any suggestions?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I am having a new issue. Ruger is getting Gloves and Go-out exercise confused and I don't know how to avoid it or help him. Any ideas? Today, when we did gloves, he did glove #3 perfectly. I sent him to #1 and he got confused out there and turned and sat. I am not working go-outs and gloves back to back. I do seperate them with other exercises. Any suggestions?
    Look at your hand postion to mark the glove and mark the go- out. Are they the same? My go out mark is only my finger pointing to the middle of the opposite ring gate but my glove mark is my hand along side of Kona's face.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Linda, I don't mark him for the go-outs. I do for the gloves with my hand/arm along his head/neck.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I don't work anything a few days before a trial. I want the dog fresh and ready to work so giving him a few days off to just be a dog is what has worked for us. I don't think there is anything you can train/fix that close to a trial anyway. You have to trust the dog. Now some people will train right up to the day of a trial. It all depends on what works for your dog.

Are you doing gloves back to back? When I ask Murray to retrieve more than one glove, I break off and do a quick little heeling pattern then set him back up so it looks like a new exercise again. I started doing that because once at a match he decided to go out and retrieve the other 2 gloves before the steward could get to them. : I didn't want him thinking that the exercise was to retrieve all 3 gloves. Also at a match (I think it was a different one), I was talking to the judge and not paying attention to Murray. He was following the steward and picking up the gloves she just set out. He was pretty proud of himself too. It's funny what locks in their fuzzy little brains.

I think I remember that you said you leave the gloves out when you do go outs. That would be my guess as to where the confusion is coming from. "Do I get the glove or do I sit." I think this is too much for a green dog to comprehend.

<br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

DefaultRe: Opinions on Training Needed (UPDATE, NEED HELP, LAST POST)

Lydia, no I don't leave the gloves out during go-outs, that would be outright mean IMHO. It wasn't me who ever said that one

I like the idea of doing a bit of heeling after doing a glove. Thanks for that tip Lydia.

We've been really focused on agility for several months, so now this is our obedience training, and I HAVE to work him everyday to get him back in the swing of things before this trial (in nine days).

OKAY----- HELP------- SOS----------- OBEDIENCE GUIDANCE REQUESTED-----------------

On gloves Ruger is going out and pausing to stand over the glove, have a good look around, and then he does take the glove. I'm at odds with this because I'm not sure how to correct him. He's gone to the glove. He's at the correct glove, how can I let him know he can't stand over it and stargaze without squashing his confidence of having gone out to the correct one to begin with?

His "stargazing" will be even longer at the show (I know because he's done this before). So long in fact that at times he then goes brain dead and forgets why he's out there.

Can you give me an idea how to fix this? Should I put him on a line and drive him to the retrieve?

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Opinions on Training Needed (UPDATE, NEED HELP, LAST POST)

Quote Originally Posted by raian

On gloves Ruger is going out and pausing to stand over the glove, have a good look around, and then he does take the glove. I'm at odds with this because I'm not sure how to correct him. He's gone to the glove. He's at the correct glove, how can I let him know he can't stand over it and stargaze without squashing his confidence of having gone out to the correct one to begin with?

His "stargazing" will be even longer at the show (I know because he's done this before). So long in fact that at times he then goes brain dead and forgets why he's out there.

Can you give me an idea how to fix this? Should I put him on a line and drive him to the retrieve?
    The couple of days before a show I don't do a lot of correcting but stuff to build confidence. I'll only do a light correction and then do more play stuff but get hiim to work through the issue.

Ok, the glove itssue--I do gloves, articles, bell all the same. When they do something like that I put them back on lead, send them for the item and then pop back. If they don't get it then I do my correction. Caleb has a tendency to play with the gloves and bell so I do a lot of these as a remember. This is something I will do right before I go into the ring as part of my warm up. I pop and make a big game out of it.

If he is confused, take a step back. If he is going out to the #1 glove and the glove is there I would get on him about the glove if you know that he is blowing you off. Unless there is total confusion of what is expected of him then I will do some type of correction or clarification. I don't want to get to helping the dog too much cause I cannot do that in the ring. That is the nice thing about drills--you can go back to whatever part of the drill and work to fix that particular issue. They all fall apart on something at some point in time!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

DefaultRe: Opinions on Training Needed (UPDATE, HELP LAST POST)

Thanks Susan. I remember in Open on his ROTF, he'd sometimes not go with gusto and I would correct him with holding up on the collar and telling him to "take it" then releasing him and he would dive for it. As a matter of fact, like you, I did this as part of my warm up before going into the ring. I think I will do this as an added reminder that he must go get the glove. This is a simple retrieve, afterall.

Sometimes I just over think about messing him up. He does know how to retrieve

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Opinions on Training Needed (UPDATE, HELP LAST POST)

I agree...use your correction for failed retrieve since that's what it is. This issue may still go back to his go out/glove confusion though. One time he sits with the glove, the next time he stands there thinking do I sit or do I retrieve. A reminder or two should help him work thru that.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast