Good Go-Out Training Idea

Thread: Good Go-Out Training Idea

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultGood Go-Out Training Idea

I found this on another forum and it makes perfect sense to me.

Someone had posted that they trained their dog to "target" to the gating, either by pointing there first, putting a reward there, etc. (I trained Ruger this way as well). Now there dog won't go out unless the target is made clear.

Here is the answer that was posted. I found it VERY helpful...

you are now realizing one problem with training go-outs to a target. The dog understands go to the target but not WHY the target is there, or that the target is in a very specific spot for a reason. The dog needs to understand go to the END of the ring (yes, they should go until you command them to sit but we all know the dogs will go and stop on their own...it's your job to teach them WHERE to stop).
    Anyways, here are my suggestions. #1 quit training so much with jumps there EVERY time. She is depending on them. Just set up your ring gate and send her to it.
    #2 Only send her to a jump maybe half the time she does a go-out. Dogs understand the jumping portion of this exercise very well, and like to do it. You'll get more repetitions and less aniticpation if you only have her jump occassionally.
    #3 The big one -- NEVER praise her for her go out unless she is physically up against the far ring gate. Her reward for doing a go out should be to receive a treat THROUGH THE GATE. When she does a go out correctly, walk up to her (do NOT call her to you) and feed her a treat THROUGH the gate at the correct go-out location. Reach from the other side and have her physcially put her face on the gate to eat her treat. Do NOT give her a treat for go-outs in ANY other way but through the gate. Praise-praise-praise ----- AT THE GATE. Heel back to your starting point to do another one, never call her away from the gate. "The gate is good" should be her mantra!
    If she does not go far enough, walk out to her, grab her collar with one hand, push with the collar and the other hand on her rump and push her out to the correct spot. Say in your most condescending voice, What happened? Why'd you stop? Push her into a sit once you get there, then praise verbally.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Good Go-Out Training Idea

That's why training with food on the stancions back fired for me too. Murray thought the food had to be there somewhere so he started shopping.

I did something different. I followed Murray to the go out then turned and sat him with the treat. (I started just steps from the gating) and I started following slower and slower gradually lengthening the distance and the time until I reached him. That made him understand the treats came from me, not the magical ring gating.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

I'm 99.9% Ruger understands the treats come from me. I too go out to him and jackpot him right from the cheese can. What I like is jackpotting him on the other side of the gating, through the gating, so he really understands he must be AT the gating to get the jack pot

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Trained my first UD dog with food on the go-outs and did not like it so I knew I wanted to train Caleb with something different. I agree with what is written there. I am working that he learns to run away from me, across the room to whatever is infront of him. He must climb now--more of a job rather than just touching with his nose. I don't jump often but I do go-outs all over my building--to gates, to walls, to chairs, to pylons, to benches, to poles.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I don't do go outs and jumps together except in a trial situation since Murray has decided he already knows how to do this without any help from me or the judge. I will send him on his go outs then we work some other exercise, then I'll set him up at the go out post and send him to the jumps.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    ... He must climb now--more of a job rather than just touching with his nose. I don't jump often but I do go-outs all over my building--to gates, to walls, to chairs, to pylons, to benches, to poles.
    That is the way I am doing it also. They need a "job" at the ring gates. With Kodi, it is to bop it with her nose, as she had a "bad" ring gate experience last year when she bopped it and turned she knocked over some metal guides, scared her, and she then knocked over the gating. We are still dealing with that issue. Many of the people I train with have their dogs climb the gate, whack it with their paw or bite it. (Some have actually busted gates by jumping/whacking/biting it!) I am just starting with Hoss, and trying to figure out what his job will be
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Well, I can see that having that kind of job out there could be detrimental.

Ruger's job is to turn and sit :P It's a no brainer.

Actually, his go-outs have been freakin' fantastic lately. I am hoping that this will continue at the upcoming trial. He is actually EXCITED to be doing them and he's really running out there. Keeping our fingers crossed that this new behaviour will carry onward!!!