Agility Seminar / Carrie Jones

Thread: Agility Seminar / Carrie Jones

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultAgility Seminar / Carrie Jones

After trialing on Friday and Saturday, I had an agility Seminar with Carrie Jones (USDAA World Team Silver Medalist, 5th in the World overall).

I didn't really want to go. She runs Jack Russells. I didn't think I'd get much out of it, but I took Ruger and we went and we did really really well.

And, if I learned nothing else from her, I DID learn how to rev his engines at the start line. It was freakin' fantastic. He was leaving the start line like he'd been shot out of a cannon!!! Thank you Carrie!!!

We are all exhausted from a three day agility weekend (had the CPE show Friday and Saturday in Murrell's Inlet). But we are all happy too

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Agility Seminar / Carrie Jones

You could try to do that with go-outs, too. Just a thought!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

It is basically a "force" send. She had me put my hands on his chest and push back on him as I told him, "Ready, ready, ready", and then I'd release him and run with him. Since it's a running start, with me going with him, I don't think it will work for Utility go-outs. I already do the "ready ready ready" thing with him for Utility, but then I stand and mark him and send.

Susan, btw, if he does go out to the jumps and stops, and I give him another command to "go touch" and he does. Is that an NQ or just major deduction?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    It is basically a "force" send. She had me put my hands on his chest and push back on him as I told him, "Ready, ready, ready", and then I'd release him and run with him. Since it's a running start, with me going with him, I don't think it will work for Utility go-outs. I already do the "ready ready ready" thing with him for Utility, but then I stand and mark him and send.

Susan, btw, if he does go out to the jumps and stops, and I give him another command to "go touch" and he does. Is that an NQ or just major deduction?
    I would try bending my knees saying "ready, ready" like you do in agility to try to get him excited. It's all about getting inside their little furry heads to see what the key to unlock them. If it works for agility something similar might work for Utility.

If you have to double command it is a nq.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

Yes, I was pretty sure the double command would be an NQ, but I kinda got into an arguement with a gal about it yesterday at agility. I thought I was right, but I backed down because I wasn't sure (although SHE was... isn't that always the way

I would not be able to press my hands against his chest and push him back as I said "ready" would I? You can't touch your dog, correct.

You could not touch his chest like that but you can pet him inbetween exercises. I would just begin to work with him on the verbal and you rocking and bending your knees.
    Susan

www.labmed.org