trainer questions

Thread: trainer questions

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Defaulttrainer questions

So, how many of you have "broken up" up with a trainer? How did you do it? Did it work out in the end (I mean, if you see them at a show, etc, is okay?).

Trainers, do you "break up" with clients? How do you prefer things are ended?

TIA.

<br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: trainer questions

I have actually lost a few students to the people I train under. It's hard to be upset cause this couple are one of the top trainers in the nation. They have set numerous records with their Goldens. I have remained friends with most. My trainer retired before I actually began to look around. I have a phiolosphy--I cannot take anyone I have not gone myself. I have not completed a UDX or OTCh and those who think they want to go for that I refer. I do have a student working on a UDX--she has four legs towards it and actually got her UD before Caleb and I did (her first my second). The people I have lost to my trainers I am still friends with and see at shows. Another friend takes privates from another trainer whom I don't respect at all though they have gotten an OTCh. We still travel together sometimes and are still friends. I have had people from other training centers tell people I am the worse trainer in the area. Yet I have another OTCh trainer who does only puppy classes refer her people to me for beginners and beyond. It all seems to come out in the wash. I try to not be insecure and immature about things. I try!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Hmm, what if it is more a philosophical disagreement than achievement?

Level of force, food, fun in training? That kind of thing? Would you try to change your methods to meet the client's wishes or would you refer the client out? Would you be upset if the client left?
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

No. Because I don't do just the old yank and jerk I have lost people. Because I do correct sometimes I have lost people. That does not upset me. If they don't trust me then they need to leave. Had someone last session that was that way and I am not upset they left.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

I have broken up with my current class trainers a couple of times.

Things they did or said that really yanked my chain. But I give it a few months and generally I go back.

There was one time, I waited it out for an appology, and I waited 6 months for that. In the meantime, we went elsewhere

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Well, I think we all know how I did it.

I wrote our private instructor a nice note saying thank you for everything, that we wouldn't/couldn't have gotten as far as we did without the foundation she laid for us and enclosed a copy of Henery's CD title/win photo, as it was as much her honour as ours. I didn't give any reasons per se, but did say that I had had a chance to train with Marie Sawford, who is one of the most highly-respected, top trainers in Ontario, if not the country. She had taken classes under Marie as well, so I'm hoping she'd understand.

She shows mostly in conformation (poodles) but I didn't want to burn any bridges, nor have any hard or awkward feelings, should I run into her at a show in the future.

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

I've been working with an instructor on Rally who I really like and respect. She recently pulled me aside and said she loves working with us and will do so as long as I want, but there are things that Miles is capable of learning that she can't show me how to training. She thinks he's capable of CDX but she can't teach me some of the thing's I'd need. She referred me to someone she thinks can work with us.

I think I am very fortunate.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

patm is offline Senior Member

I left my first instructor under good terms (I hope she felt the same way) Emilu and I needed to progress further than she could take us, I wanted to belong to a training club, and I wanted us to be able to work with other dogs. I left the second instructor after about a year, mostly because the class schedule changed and she no longer taught during the week. I stayed with her on an off night for a while, but then migrated to the regular advanced class. I never said too much to her, but kept it as friendly as it ever was (which wasn't all that much). She has pretty much quit any club activities after the scheduling change thing. I saw her at our agility show a few weeks ago, said 'hi" and she briefly looked at me - that's a start I guess :-\ I am a firm believer in trying to end things on a good note with most things that you quit, unless it's a real serious issue. The dog world is small - no use making enemies.

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

My first trainer stopped giving classes, we still see her here and there and exchange friendly greetings and such.

Second trainer, well....we quit in the middle of a session of lessons due to the fact that they (husband and wife) seem to be dog trainers because they have control issues and end up using abusive methods without the owner's consent which ended up with Zeke giving the man a nice little set of puncture wounds (which the man deserved entirely). We also still see each other (small world : ) and I just ignore them, or I have been known to say "Hello" and force them into an awkward social position - because everyone knows what they did because they did it in front of about 20people. For some reason they've started losing a good number of students....

Third trainer seems to be going well - although she's an hour away and I can only take classes on holidays or during breaks from school. Progress with Zeke is glacial (because I don't have time to go to classes)
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

We just quit going to Petsmart classes even though I still would say hi to the Petsmart trainer if I see her there. But this is not really on point.

My current trainer is really my first trainer. We really clicked on so many levels. She is a friend now. She and her husband own and train Labradors and Goldens for obedience, field trials, and tracking. She knows her stuff: training and rules. She is flexible with her methods, interested in learning more herself, adjusts to her students and their dogs. I can go on praising her for hours. I cannot see myself going anywhere else. It will be a sad day when she retires from training.