obedience and aglitiy height question for AKC and UKC

Thread: obedience and aglitiy height question for AKC and UKC

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Defaultobedience and aglitiy height question for AKC and UKC

For some reason it confusing to me. We used a wicket on Samantha last in night in agility class and she was 21 in so in agility she will jump 20 and obedience what should she jump 20 or 22?

Blu was wicket at 22 1/5 a month ago and he is 18 months old now so he will jump 24 in agility and what in obedience 22 or 24?
    Alicia

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: obedience and aglitiy height question for AKC and UKC

UKC:

D. Normal jump height and distance. (Normal jump heights and distance are listed in a table on page 80.)

1. High and bar jumps. A dog shall jump the height of its withers, except that no dog shall jump less than 8 inches or more than 24 inches. Height at withers shall be rounded down to the closest even number for the purpose of setting jump height. For example, an 18-inch dog shall jump 18 inches but a 17½-inch dog shall jump 16 inches.

2. Broad jump. A dog shall jump a distance that is twice the height of its withers, except that no dog shall jump less than 16 inches or more than 56 inches. Height at withers shall be rounded down to the closest whole number before being multiplied by two for the purpose of setting jump distance. For example, an 18- inch dog shall jump 36 inches (18 x 2) but a 17½-inch dog shall jump 34 inches (17 x 2).

So, Samantha would have the option of jumping 20 or 22 (I think I remember this) in UKC. Blu would jump 22 in UKC.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by millstonekennel
    We used a wicket on Samantha last in night in agility class and she was 21 in so in agility she will jump 20 and obedience what should she jump 20 or 22?
    In AKC she can jump 20 or 22...your choice since is exactly in the middle. If she was 21.01 she would be required to jump 22.

Quote Originally Posted by millstonekennel
    Blu was wicket at 22 1/5 a month ago and he is 18 months old now so he will jump 24 in agility and what in obedience 22 or 24?
    He will jump 22 in AKC obedience. If he was 23 1/5 he'd have to jump 24.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Ruger is 22.75 inches. In AKC Obedience I jump him 24/48. In agility he jumps 20" (I show him in the Preferred classes)

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Blu is the one that you can get into 20 inch class if you work him right. I made the mistake of measuring Amber for the first time at a show first thing in the morming and when she was excited. She was standing up very straight and was very nervous and measured 22 5/8" . I later had her measured again and she was relaxed and it was the end of the day and she was tired. and she measured exactly 22" When she turned 2 years old I had to have her measured again for her permenant height card and I ran her hard at a show (we did probably 100-150 retrieves) and introduced her to the judge and made sure her head and neck were straight out and she was standing square and she got a measurement of 21 3/4". For her second measurement I did the ssame thing and got a measurement of exactly 22". So her official AKC Agility height card now says 21.88" (they averaged the 2 official measurements together). In Obedience (AKC) I will probably jump her at 22" and 44" (broad jump)

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Very intresting. Blu was very happy when one of the club member measured him for me. I guess I will have to work on holding still and making him look smaller in May when he turns 2
    Alicia

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

In AKC and UKC I actually just jump Caleb the same height.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

One other thing you can do is pactice measuring him. Most judges use a pause table or if not available they will do it on the sidewalk. You will want Blu as tired aas possible when you measure him. Also picking a judge to measure him can also come into play. Is he more comfortable with men or women? big people or small people etc. At alot of shows they leave the Measuring device out and you can go practice with Blu getting him used to the measuring device etc.. If Blu is intact and you think there is a female in heat near by or at the show I would recomend against measuring him because he will be posturing and standing on his toes and making himself as big as possible. You can also ask around and find out who the best judges/AKC reps would be to get measured under. Some judges will give the dog a minute to relax if they are near a cutoff point and others will want to just hurry through it. This is the one thing you can do that will help his joints the most for the longest time. Labs are heavy dogs and don't land as softly as say a border collie and jumping 20" vs 24" is a huge difference. Take your time and do the best for your dog that you can.

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />