Need summer advice (long)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need summer advice (long)

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed summer advice (long)

Yeah, yeah, it's a long way off..but it's me and I like to have all my ducks in a row.

I am working at a really cool law firm this summer that I am super excited about. My fiance is also working in a gov't job this summer. It is going to require a big swing in our schedules- from flexible student schedules- to full time workers. Gabby really hasn't ever been alone for more than 3-4 hours (part of that is a tendency to get massive bladder infections if she has to hold it). Fiance and I have opposite schedules (him day classes, me night) and my mom doesn't work, we have doggy daycares, etc. Spoiled doggy

So, I think going from never being alone to being alone ten or more hours a day is way too much. So these are three options I have come up with. All three have serious drawbacks. I need some advice from both experience dog owner perspectives and training perspectives.

My mom: has offered to watch Gabs everyday. Likes Gabs a lot.
    PRO: This is free. Also, pretty good supervision. 1 person: 2 dogs.
    CON: I can see a noticeable decline in Gabby's manners after being around my mom. She does the "sit sit sit sit sit" thing and when Gabs does sit, my mom gives her a cookie and then forgets about it (forgets to release her). She also allows pushy behavior at the door/gate and when playing ball. Also, because she wants to talk (it's really, really sweet), it can take up to 45 minutes to drop off Gabby and the same when picking up.

Daycare #1: There is a nice daycare by my work.
    Pro: they are well-regarded and guarantee at least two hours of play in the am and two in the pm. They try to do more (weather permitting) and the day I took Gabs/Mav to test it, they were out and playing for 6.5 hours out of the 7.5 they were there. It's convenient, no reservations, etc.
    Cons: Expensive. And I really dont like the 2 hr in the am/2 hr in the pm thing. I would prefer her to play all day unless it was a lightening storm. Also, not really furthering training.

Daycare #2: Daycare far away from everything. This is a daycare I use when I have stuff going on at night and during the day. They are 24 hours- one price for the entire day and they are kennel free. They play until you come to get them.
    Same pros and cons as above, except the driving would be insane.

Trainer:
    Pros: Furthering training. She picks up and drops off.
    Cons: She forgets to pick up and drop off or is late. I don't necessarily trust her to do what she says she is going to do.

I would love suggestions.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need summer advice (long)

Could you alternate teh day care and mom thing? How about building an outdoor kennel run?
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Any reason she just can't stay home in the house while you are gone? Or is the difference between you and your fiance's schedules so much that someone won't be back within a 6-8 hr period to let Gabby out for potty?

Granted we have 3, but I don't think they really interact much when we aren't home. DH went from working at home to a varying schedule, gone sometimes as little as 3 hr to being gone 10. Sometimes they are home all day alone. Since pottying in the house is no longer an issue, we just don't worry about it. They get their play time and exercise time regardless of what time I get home, the weather etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom
    Could you alternate teh day care and mom thing? How about building an outdoor kennel run?
    Condo
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    Any reason she just can't stay home in the house while you are gone? Or is the difference between you and your fiance's schedules so much that someone won't be back within a 6-8 hr period to let Gabby out for potty?
    Neither of us are going to be working within a 15 minute drive- so neither of us can swing home at lunch. And I am going to work at the same firm I work at on Fridays, and I am pretty sure it's going to be ten hour days at least for me. And i don't know his schedule yet.

She gets bladder infections for some reason if she has to hold it more than a couple of hours, so we've always just made arrangements for her to be with someone or go to daycare when we have to be gone (it's cheaper for us and less painful for her).

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I'd do day care #1 and grandma's. After daycare she'll be too exhausted to do anything but lay around at grandma's. ;D
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

patm is offline Senior Member

From the way you describe it - Day Care #1 alternating with Grandmas sounds the best.

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Laura, I like maybe alternating daycare #2 and your Mom... either have Gabby go to your Mom's, or, is it possible for your Mom to stop by your place and walk Gabby a few times a day? That way she's not at your Mom's allll day long, but still gets potty breaks. ??

I like the idea of daycare #2 because it sounds like they'd be a bit more flexible as far as hours go... after all, you never know when you'll be running late or have to stay late for some reason at work. I know when my brother was articling (is that spelled right??) and his first few years out of law school, he worked A LOT. Long days. So, maybe it will be less of a worry knowing that you don't have to pick Gabby up by a certain time?

Either way (daycare 1 or daycare 2 or your Mom... I prolly wouldn't go trainer from what you've told us about her time-keeping skills ) Gabby will adjust. Henry went from daycare every day at a super place from the time he was a wee pup until he was 3.5... then he started having to stay home alone. Fortunately, I'm close enough to let him out at lunch, but I'm sure it was an adjustment for him.

So, my vote is for daycare 2!! (and your Mom!)

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I would let grandma watch them.

My mom watches my dogs at night when I'm at work. She is awful as far as commands and cookies go. But honestly, my dogs know the difference between her and me. They know when they need to respond to my commands instantly (in training, etc). I've not lost any training because grandma spoils them

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I would alternate Mom and trainer and daycare 1 and daycare 2. Not sure how close Mom is but because trainer is inconsistant with pick up time maybe you can just take her to Daycare 1 or mom if she is too late. Dogs don't have to have the same routine everyday, especially not young energetic labs. An old sedentary lab might prefer to just stay with Mom but a puppy would probably like the adventure.

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast